MS440 carb initial settings, limiter caps ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I rebuilt the carb on my Stihl MS440 and am confused on the initial settings for the high and low and idle screws. My manual says 3/4 turn out for high and 1/4 turn out for low speed screws. Does this assume the limiter caps being already set from the factory? If so, this won't necessarily be the same after the rebuild?

I searched the forum and found several references to 1 turn out of the screw itself (before the limiter cap is installed??) for both low and high speed screws. Does this apply to my carb?

Is there an initial setting for the idle screw? Just set it high and back it off until the chain stops turning?

Thanks in advance, this site has been incredibly helpful during this rebuild project. I also installed a BB kit.

Brad

The setting you refer to is with the limiter caps in place. Without them, it's 1 turn out.

Slice the tab of the limiter caps, push them in and then you can just use the "1 turn" setting.

Initial LA - just so it "cracks" the butterfly.

With a BB kit, the 1 turn calibration will not be correct... maybe you should start 1 1/8 on both...

That 1/4 and 3/4 out indicated on the cover refers to the initial settings WITH the limiters in place. Without the limiters in place, you want to start at 1 turn out.

Thanks Lakeside and shagyg! I'll clip the limiter caps, that is good to know. Not sure what the logic is behind those things?? I'll tune it the best I can and then take it into the dealer and have them check it. It will be interesting to see how close I can get.

Thanks again for the quick response! Did I mention this forum is awesome?
Brad

Back