MS440 ported muffler cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pics don't do it justice, I'd like to say I welded it but I didn't. Have a friend that's a artist with a tig! That elbow is two pieces welded down the length of the dia. to make a custom .800 I.D tube for GE. Aircraft.

When one gets scraped I snatch it from the waste bin and put it to good use.

Airplane parts on a chainsaw!

Jeff

looks good, but from the angle of the 2nd pic, it looks as if it may end up burning the case...

Friend;y pic advice, downsize your pics to about a 1/3 of what they are now. They are too large for most people on dial up.

-Steve

Once I post pics can I go back in the edit mode and size them, or do I delete and re-post?

It's an illusion on how close the pipe is to the case, a front view shows a different story. I should have done the bologna cut out rather than in though.

Thanks, Jeff

As you have said, maybe an illusion, but be real careful about case burn. You can actually melt the case and it will catch on fire (magnesium+oil, hmmm...).

I set fire to Doug fir bark a few days ago with my 361 modded muffler, and that is angled out at 45. Muffler to bark was probably about 2 inches, but a long full power cut made for a lot of really hot gases. It why the factory mufflers typically vent from the rear sections... or have a deflector and sheild in front. In your case you also have a hot pipe that will meet the bark.

Really nice welding though...

I have a couple of 044's I need to mod - I'm going to try to put the port in the right side rear section. Problem, as always, is how to integrate an efficient spart arrester. My 361 version won't work in the 044 as the brake handle gets in the way. Might have to break down and buy the factory dual port front!

Last edited:
JeffHK454 said:
Once I post pics can I go back in the edit mode and size them, or do I delete and re-post?

Resize the pictures on your computer to say 800x600 or less, then edit the post (use
"Go Advanced"), upload the new pic, and then delete the old pic. There are a couple of other ways, but this will work.

attachment.php

Lakeside53 said:
As you have said, maybe an illusion, but be real careful about case burn. You can actually melt the case and it will catch on fire (magnesium+oil, hmmm...).

Agreed. It looks like the oil cap might also get warm. Just watch it, and you'll know soon enough! Looks good though.

Jeff

Nice TIG job! If you’d a turned it more, say about 170 degrees CW the chain would stay clean.

On the biggest cut I've made to date(40" Hard Maple) the area by the pipe outlet was no warmer than the rest of the case. That was a good sine but I don't make a living with my saw so it sits more than it cuts. I can tell you that it blows saw chips every where, like a rocket taking off...LOL...

It's my first try I will improve my next cover with the info learned this time.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back