ms440 rebuild and upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to cut the base or squish band on any cylinder, put it in a box and send it to someone who knows what they are doing. Mastermind did one for me not a while back... It cost around $50, IIRC. There are many other guys around here that could do it for you, as well.

I would look for a good used OEM cylinder, if it was my saw. They tend to be higher quality and run better than AM jugs, even big bore kits.

Does Stihl make a big bore kit for the ms440?
That dolmar sure looks tempting.

The saw is done except for a few odds and ends. This was a marathon build and I did not get detailed pics of the conversion details. They're not difficult though, just time consuming. Here's a summary.

1. Slot the cylinder base mounting holes. Use a 440 cylinder gasket as a timplate.
  2. Clearance the right transfer port to clear the CC.
  3. Clearance the left transfer to clear the flywheel fin tips.
  4. Clearance the mounting flange on both sides. Not much more than removing the cast in letters was necessary.
  5. Trim the plastic deflector hanging down on the bottom of the engine shroud.
  6. Add about 1/4" spacers behind the bottom mounting bolts of the muffler.

Sounds like the thing to do is to start heading in this direction.

I had read on a post that the manufactures had eased piston and cylinder mating clearances over the years.
That earlier years you needed the piston that goes with the cylinder. I don't know when this transition period took affect, probably 94ish.

From what I've read it seems the meteor and caber piston/rings are bout as good as factory.So would it be prefered to get the piston and rings too? or would meteor piston and caber rings do the trick.

Different muffler than the 044 I suppose as well.

Latest posts

Back