MS441 upper manifold hole too small for sleeve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
When my basket-case 441 came to me, it didn't have a steel sleeve in the upper manifold hole. The IPL shows a sleeve in both holes.

The upper hole in my manifold is too small for the OEM sleeve I bought...even with lube.

Thoughts?

441 tight manifold.jpg

When my basket-case 441 came to me, it didn't have a steel sleeve in the upper manifold hole. The IPL shows a sleeve in both holes.

The upper hole in my manifold is too small for the OEM sleeve I bought...even with lube.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1122636
They gave you the wrong part

That boot is chewed up pretty good

The new sleeve I bought is the same size as the one which came in the bottom hole. Neither sleeve fits in the top hole.

IPL shows same PN for both sleeves.

Thoughts?

View attachment 1122636
Thats because its the same piece, here is a ebay listing with a picture to clarify the intake boot size being the same, yours was smashed by assembling the saw without it deforming it
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385514218317?hash=item59c270234d:g:bp0AAOSwpK9kJdvS&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAA0JBOb5YxhUm5K7qFwrHff6MOCseQDbbTPvW5/xv+PuNP9I0vXyMD6Fu9tIBD4OCKop5ZQXzN/WjuT0raRA0n81P0+kGb73w24Iak3l4zhUR0/feTvVY06/taT4YmwvvoaHTlPxFX8Ip13bAzVO2dOBL6uOGU/r+VIuaA7n/k4zG6qNiBGdKjV7pLue3cXz2E9e95/yL4IstJhs+blgbh3HZ76ADtZixcdJmp8jNwMLYyKXQOe0f0ksXs216DXYfWW//u2KU/W4bljHf2T9c2oR0=|tkp:Bk9SR6jGrPPsYg

You most likely need a new intake boot, it does look chewed up. I just assembled a 441 and those sleeves are supposed to fit those holes with minimal resistance.
You think the manifold shrunk? I can't see that "chewed up" would make the hole smaller.

I am thinking of some way to expand the hole to original dims. I would rather avoid buying a new manifold...I'd, frankly, also like to not ever again remove that black plastic bulkhead thingy.

You think the manifold shrunk? I can't see that "chewed up" would make the hole smaller.

I am thinking of some way to expand the hole to original dims. I would rather avoid buying a new manifold...I'd, frankly, also like to not ever again remove that black plastic bulkhead thingy.
Hot metal wedge will expand mashed rubber. Tread lightly.

Better seal those bite marks with RTV

It almost looks like someone grabbed that top part of the intake boot with needle nose pliers trying to pull it through the plastic bracket that it fits through. It took me probably a solid 10 mins to get it to fit correctly.

Try heating it up real good with a hair dryer and see if you can get that sleeve to fit in there. Costs nothing to try. I can’t explain how it would have shrunk. Is the manifold real hard? It may just be age. New ones are pretty pliable. They aren’t cheap, unfortunately

Rtv is a good idea to seal those bite marks. You don’t want an air leak there

It almost looks like someone grabbed that top part of the intake boot with needle nose pliers trying to pull it through the plastic bracket that it fits through. It took me probably a solid 10 mins to get it to fit correctly.

Try heating it up real good with a hair dryer and see if you can get that sleeve to fit in there. Costs nothing to try. I can’t explain how it would have shrunk. Is the manifold real hard? It may just be age. New ones are pretty pliable. They aren’t cheap, unfortunately

Rtv is a good idea to seal those bite marks. You don’t want an air leak there
Twisting them up with smooth pliers is reasonable or just use a peice of string like when installing an old windshield rubber in a car. Grease or soap is your friend here. This person was pulling it through like so many people do and never find the hole they created when things have tuning issues.

OK. I'll report back when I get this done.

I am going to try again to get the sleeve into the current manifold. Some minor stretching, some minor heat.

If I get signs of an air leak...I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Obviously...since this saw came to me w/o a sleeve...some PO had issues.

Latest posts

Back