MS441 vs MS441/460 vs 372BB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno. I reckon the 385/90 sound better (not as tinny) with the 395 topping those.

All three of those saws run well.

Well, geeze, if your showing yours I might as well show mine! LOL

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqVqk8GLuDY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fqVqk8GLuDY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Yup 372 series, best 70cc saw around IMHO! I enjoy the sound of mine. Even with a mostly stock muffler.

LOL, I know we fought like cats and dogs a couple days ago over something, whatever it was. But I think we see eye 2 eye on this one mang.

I love a 372. One of the funnest saws I've ever ran. As I said earlier, I gotz to have one. The 7900 I would consider 80cc, though it is THE funnest saw I've ever ran. I still liked the feel of the 372 better though.

Brad,

You did not refer, but from the video I understand you used the same bar width and chain size in all three saws, right?

Thanks Brad, perhaps our staff statistician Edisto, can do some analysis on those times. .06 varience doesn't seem that significant between the 3 saws. I had some statistics in grad school and it would appear to be difficult to declare a clear winner in this situation, especially with the 441 not being broken in. I can speak with personal experience that my 441 took significantly longer to break in than my other non-stratified Stihl saws. No excused here for the 441 I would just request a retest after it has some more hours on the clock. In the 261 post it was suggested that the only accurate way to measure performance on a saw would be a bench dyno. You could make multiple runs and no operator errors or wood variance would be in the equation to skew the results.

Steve

I can help in this statistical analysis of the data as well. Sax, I agree with you that with a bench dyno and same diameter wood, data could be more uniform with less error due to human factor. Enough someone in measuring cutting time with a chronograph to introduce error. But, in the lack of a bench dyno, you could still make the test by increasing the number of cuts (repetitions) to decrease the influence of error caused by the human operator. Important is to use a uniform diameter wood, and a must to use the same bar size with a new chain for each saw and randomly select the succession of cuts for each saw. Before each cut saws should be weighted and set at the same initial weight, lets say 12 kg for example.

Last edited:
LOL, I know we fought like cats and dogs a couple days ago over something, whatever it was. But I think we see eye 2 eye on this one mang.

I love a 372. One of the funnest saws I've ever ran. As I said earlier, I gotz to have one. The 7900 I would consider 80cc, though it is THE funnest saw I've ever ran. I still liked the feel of the 372 better though.

Ya dude I agree. You can't really compare 79cc's to 71cc's. 372 are so awesome. I'm trying to hoard as many as I can.

Don't forget, the 440s fastest cut time was identical to the fastest of the 372. The 372 has two 3/4" pipes welded in the muffler. The 440 only has the original port opened up. No second port on it:rockn:

Maybe I'll go ahead and sacrifice my 440's muffler to the mod gods tomorrow, and put another port on the flywheel side, mwuuuwahaaaaaa:chainsawguy:

Hey Brad,

Did you do the same thing to this 441 as you did to mine? Just wondering.

I was using mine today, all day, clearing dead-fall and cutting firewood at Kim's mom's land. I still get a kick out of how strong that thing is for it's size. It really pulls like a much bigger saw and is snappy like a much smaller saw.:clap:

Hey Brad,

Did you do the same thing to this 441 as you did to mine? Just wondering.

I was using mine today, all day, clearing dead-fall and cutting firewood at Kim's mom's land. I still get a kick out of how strong that thing is for it's size. It really pulls like a much bigger saw and is snappy like a much smaller saw.:clap:

Everything pretty much identical, except I added a little ignition timing advance to it. The exhaust and transfers are about 3° lower on this saw, just factory differences. I didn't raise it to gain RPMs and risk loosing torque. It's a work saw way before it's a race saw.

I like to keep my muffler mods clean and stock look as much as possible. I can get quite a lot of exhaust area by enlarging some factory exits and simply extending the deflector. I've done that to both the 440 and 441. I may still go ahead and another port though.

Dunno. I reckon the 385/90 sound better (not as tinny) with the 395 topping those.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2gqY5hZUGY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C2gqY5hZUGY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

All three of those saws run well.

I have to agree with ya there 372's sound good...but a nice ported 385 sounds better....nothin like sound of a 385 with a 2ft bar flyin around the base of a tree...395's have a sound of their own....and a great sound at that.....now a 288xp with a jungle muffler sounds awesome as well...

Latest posts

Back