ms441 with a .404 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe he just like bigger chips??

Why would you run 404 on saws smaller than 084,880 or the big husky.

I don't even run 404 on the 084.

You can, your just a rim sprocket and bar away from your dream.

Sam

The loggers here run .404 chains on their 460's here for the the simple fact, they get longer chain life, more time between sharpenings and that they will still cut even dull.

I was hoping some one would have menchaned durable, last longer, and oh it don't rob to much power.:givebeer: These :censored: rocks out here kill a man cutting firewood on a daily basis and if it ain't a rock :censored: barbwire grown in a tree from 30+ years ago. Normally when we clear land we cut all the wood into firewood and burn the brush. I also want the saw to looks as darn cool as it can since my dads going to buy a crappy big echo. Sorry about the crappy echo thing just not my type of saw but my dad has an home depot card. :monkey: Why buy good when you can get junk on credit.

The loggers here run .404 chains on their 460's here for the the simple fact, they get longer chain life, more time between sharpenings and that they will still cut even dull.
Kevlar where was your post before I replied LOL.....:clap: Thats what I want to hear.:givebeer:

We you guys may have a point there with the longer chain life.

How would the 404 compare to just running semi chisel 3/8" chain. That is what I like to use especially for firewood and dirty conditions and it lasts and lasts.

Sam

I like 3/8 chain too, way faster cutting but hard to argue that in cetain conditions it dulls quickly and when dull it won't cut.

Oregon x chain has long teeth as well. Much like the longer cutters on 404.

So here is the question some bars run 3/8 or .404 so what do I need just a .404 sprocket and chain right. Where can I get a sprocket and chain. I will buy it if I don't like it take it off.:chainsaw:

So here is the question some bars run 3/8 or .404 so what do I need just a .404 sprocket and chain right. Where can I get a sprocket and chain. I will buy it if I don't like it take it off.:chainsaw:

404 is .063 gauge. You need another sprocket on your bar and that is it. Not to be too hard on you, but doing it for being macho is rediculous.

There are other ways to display your manliness.

You need a bar with with a .404 tip sprocket, matching .404 rim sprocket and correct gauge ,77 driver chain for your bar

I don't understand some of you guys,you make it sound like he is trying something stupid,when it is actually a common change. wider kerf,stronger chain, larger cutting tooth for a loss of a second maybe more in the cut, GIMME A BREAK!! So if I put a more durable oring chain on my streetbike I'm a fool? He has a 70 cc saw not a god**** echo, its not going to make his saw a dog.

Last edited:
maybe there is a good reason or two that 0.404 is not so common except on processors?

now you are getting really carried away 80 thou drivers please! I guess the saw manufacturers must be stupid for even making .404 chains then huh? or .404 bars for that matter!

Last edited:
Back