ms441 with a .404 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of truck pulls back home. Big, jacked up trucks with huge tires were getting out pulled by stock trucks. Same make, model and everything else, just not "macho'd" up.

I feel pretty & witty......LOL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9sE55QzXlo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W9sE55QzXlo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I don't understand some of you guys,you make it sound like he is trying something stupid,when it is actually a common change. wider kerf,stronger chain, larger cutting tooth for a lose of a second maybe more in the cut, GIMME A BREAK!! So if I put a more durable oring chain on my streetbike I'm a fool? He has a 70 cc saw not a god**** echo, its not going to make his saw a dog.

It is pretty stupid. First off how much more durable is a 404 vs 3/8 on a 441? If you were talking about a 120cc saw the durability might be an issue. A 441 won't break a 3/8 chain very often if ever. 404 is stiffer and heavier than 3/8 and takes more power to spin up. That doesn't matter if you are just firewooding but it makes a big difference in production work. 404 is more expensive, requires yet another file size, and another repair link size. A wider kerf is not always an advantage is it? Especially when it comes to hardwoods. I use X series Oregon chain beacause of the wider kerf but I am cutting mostly tan oak, redwood and fir. All softwoods. And finlly it will indeed make his saw work harder and make it a dog.

PS any thread with a Jack Nicholson video in it has got to be good.

It is pretty stupid. First off how much more durable is a 404 vs 3/8 on a 441? If you were talking about a 120cc saw the durability might be an issue. A 441 won't break a 3/8 chain very often if ever. 404 is stiffer and heavier than 3/8 and takes more power to spin up. That doesn't matter if you are just firewooding but it makes a big difference in production work. 404 is more expensive, requires yet another file size, and another repair link size. A wider kerf is not always an advantage is it? Especially when it comes to hardwoods. I use X series Oregon chain beacause of the wider kerf but I am cutting mostly tan oak, redwood and fir. All softwoods. And finlly it will indeed make his saw work harder and make it a dog.

Well I guess the production guys here and there dog saws haven't got a clue.

I just read this whole thread. . . .kinda annoyed I did.

any way putting a .404 chain on a 70cc saw is dumb. hell throw a 38inch hardnose on there and some .404 semi chisel, I bet that sob will cut like a mofo. and youll look really cool to with that huge bar and all the smoke rollin off it.

On the .404 it looks like the chain links are longer so you could get more sharpenings out of a chain. Is that true?

Back to the subject I need part numbers anyone got any? Can I just change the rim or does it require the whole rim and tooth. Mine is 7 tooth.

Back to the subject I need part numbers anyone got any? Can I just change the rim or does it require the whole rim and tooth. Mine is 7 tooth.

stihl bar number- 3003 000 9731
rim sprocket 7 pin- 0000 642 1207
.404 chain -77 drivers 46rs

So far about 138$ for all the parts needed.
Rim sprocket $4
5/16 files DZ $15
Chain $23
Shipping on above + $13
Bar stihl brand $65 + $18 shipping
:chainsawguy:

:monkey:

Pissing away $138 to make your saw run worse? :buttkick:

:stupid: :sucks:
So what it's my money and my hobby and if I don't try it I will never know what a .404 feels like. I kinda got a hobby for chainsaws and coon hunting and need medication. My wife just shakes her head and asks how much money you spending now. :hmm3grin2orange: Alot.

So far about 138$ for all the parts needed.
Rim sprocket $4
5/16 files DZ $15
Chain $23
Shipping on above + $13
Bar stihl brand $65 + $18 shipping
:chainsawguy:
A days work 2 loads of firewood. 6 ricks. $180

So what it's my money and my hobby and if I don't try it I will never know what a .404 feels like. I kinda got a hobby for chainsaws and coon hunting and need medication. My wife just shakes her head and asks how much money you spending now. :hmm3grin2orange: Alot.

A days work 2 loads of firewood. 6 ricks. $180

Yeah I guess, but I cut that much wood with my Husky $55. More power to you i guess, I miss my cushy Union job with unlimited OT...
In blatant honesty you could much better spend $138 on chainsaw stuff...

You got it. Everyone is looking for a better way to skin a cat. Things are different from region to region in logging. But we have (Me, you, Tree Slinger', Gologit, ect) similar timber to BC...West side / East side Fir (West side Cascades softer- East side harder). I know how that stuff is.

404 is for big dogs like your talking, 120cc. I see Jasha even runs .063 on that #### hot 880 he's got. 404 takes longer to spin up like you said. The name of the game in power saws now is speed and torque. It use to be torque. Modern equipment is built to run at how many more RPM's than in the past? Plus, it's lighter. I've known guys that run 50 on 32's and they throw a heck of a lot more chains in Rhodies, Tan Oak, and limbing way more than 63 plus it's gonna break alot easier. Ya, 50 gauge for cutting timber is too weak, but going from .063 to .404 is a big jump in weight when you don't need to pull it. I don't care what anyone wants to do, it's America and that's a beautiful thing. I just wanted to further elaborate on why this guy would want to run it (besides increasing his Cherry Pouch LOL) and why BC cutters need it so bad. You can tell me you have hammer timber and all that, but if you ain't packing a 090 or something, why bother?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back