MS460,440,650 hybird?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberhauler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is one for you tech guru's.I keep up with the latest and greatest,I don't spend alot of time on tech specs or wrenching my saws other than routine maintenence.I was thinking of building a "toy" saw with what I have laying around.Here is what I have in mind...I have two 046's...One with a blown top end,the other has a seized bottom end.If the top end is good in that saw,then maybe I can take the two and have a 046 that runs...Here is my plan.I all of what I need to port the cylinder,and I have the MS650 that is a year old...Would the top end from the 650 work on the 046?And if that didn't work out,would the carburator from the 650 work on the 046?Or is it the same carb anyway?What I'm after is taking what I have and making a "hot rod" saw to play with...I have a fair idea of what I am doing as I usually tear my 440's apart and port the cylinder when I first get them.I won't say my 440's will outcut a stock 460,but they are very close when I get done.I'm trying to make something in a 046 sized package that will hold it's own with a 395 or 660,and the goal is to spend no money and use what I have available here in my shop.Any input would be greatly appreciated.

To make a stock 460 run with a 660 takes some real aggressive woods port numbers. Now if your not after ongevity and want a race/Hotsaw then your odds are good. It takes some of the best on here to make a stock 046 to run with one of those two. i am not saying it is impossible, I have a MS440 with a 460 BB on it that will flat outcut a stock 660. It is woods ported but it cost a lot and took some aggressive number on the porting among other modifications.

You may want too look into making a velocity stack and a tuned pipe, and see where that gets you then start your port work if you are just looking for a toy saw to mess with and impress people.

I'm really looking to impress no one but myself.The only thing this saw will do is cut firewood for my own fireplace.I keep a stock pile of logs that eventaully gets burned in my fireplace,and this is the testing grounds for my saws,and when one gets taken out of service,it becomes my personal firewood saw.So what I'm looking to to is take these three saws I mentioned and make one saw to carry out my firewood duty.It doesn't have to perform that well,but I thought while I'm constructing something like that,why not get all I can out of it.

Back