Ms460 muffler mod... Complete!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootboy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was sick of waiting around for my muffler to mod itself so I took it upon myself to get it done. A few drill bits, a dremel, some 5/8" conduit, some brazing, and some paint later, here she is. The tubes are Swiss-cheesed inside the muffler and run nearly to the baffle (that I also drilled a 9/16" hole in) I need to grind and smooth out the brazing and repaint it, but I was impatient and wanted to see it on the saw. :) the wet paint on the brazing makes it look worse than it is.

Here she is

yqy6y4ug.jpg

yba4u8uq.jpg

8aty5usu.jpg

View attachment 280481
View attachment 280482
View attachment 280483

Last edited:
I was kind of disappointed with my braze job last night, so I re did it today. Much better flow with the bronze.

dasaga5u.jpg

8yha7u7e.jpg

I started it and it really isn't all that much louder. Since I drilled the tubes I think it helps to diffuse the sound a little. I didn't cut with it so I don't know about performance gains but the throttle is a little crisper. Carb adjusted.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Watch that guy on hot days, you can catch a log on fire. Just keep an eye on it and a water bottle in your pocket. Being financially responsible for a fire would suck.

I'm gonna screen the inside of the tubes. They sit below the opening in the baffle so the exhaust bounces around a little before exiting. I'm curious to see just how much heat it puts out.

I'm gonna screen the inside of the tubes. They sit below the opening in the baffle so the exhaust bounces around a little before exiting. I'm curious to see just how much heat it puts out.

It will put out enough to set a log on fire. If you're cutting wood with pitch cankers on it or dry moss keep your eyes open. If you get a little fire going and there's pitch on your muffler pipes and maybe some on the dawgs and maybe a little on the front of the saw things can real ugly real fast.

For now, I cut in suburbia. I'm not in the woods and there's not a lot of dry moss in these parts. I'm gonna test it in some wood just to see. I may reconfigure the internal side of the pipes to tweak its fiery tendencies. It sounds wicked awesome too! Not super loud but just a clearer, crisper sound. Not so... Muffled? Haha

..Thats the same way I did my muff on my Husky 254! Lets just say it runs REALLLLLY well now! And yes, you CAN burn the bark right off the tree with it! Enjoy!:rock:

I have a stihl 031 that I don't run much anymore but it had a burnt our muffler and I would always say that it would burn the wood as fast as I could cut it!

I went out and ran it today, the exhaust isn't as hot as you guys had me worried about. I ran it in a log and kept the exhaust in the same place on the log, I just don't see it being a problem. Like I said, the pipes go back into the muffler below the exhaust port, the exhaust takes a lap around the muffler before exiting the tubes. I could see these pipes bing a problem if it was a straight shot out for the exhaust, but as is, it's not hot enough to start anything ablaze. It sounds awesome too. Not really much louder but throatier and the throttle response is lightning fast. Sweet! Definitely worth the time. Looks badass if I say so myself.

Running for 1/2 hour in 90 degree weather after a dry summer will heat things up real quick. I did a MM on my 365 and it was putting out enough heat to start to melt the handle a little bit above it and my mod was done in the OE port to look stock so sits back on the back part of the muffler.

1st day I ran my new saw it threw a spark that caught a dry leaf to smoking and smoldering and I did the Indian rain dance for about 30 seconds and that was without a mod. I carry water.

Mod looks good. Good luck with it.

Yeah, February is a lot different than August. I've lit logs up with the OEM dual port setup several times, as well as stock side exits and added on off side exits. None of these are a straight path out of the muffler. I'm not making this up to scare you. I am sharing my thorough experience with you. Go ahead and ignore it if you like, I have a pickup I'd like to pay off.

Latest posts

Back