MS460 Spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a standard half-wrap MS460. It has one small inside dawg. I'd like a pair a little larger than what's on it. I'm not looking for the longest spikes I can find, but do want something a little longer than what came on it. Anyone have a setup they recommend? BTW, I love the Stihl "chaincatcher" set on my 361. I'd like something similiar for the 460.

these are the set that i would recommend..they are the factory spikes for the full wrap version..i also strongly recommend the roller chain catcher.

this is on my 046 rat saw
IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

ive never bought it as a kit
i think the spikes are 12-15 a piece and then the catcher is 6-8. i'll look the part #'s up later tonight(studying for a final right now-philosophy-ugh...)

If you're talking about Alan Stray at Madsen's, he is first class all the way. I have met him in person, and had one 046 Madsenized in the process. Even so, I believe any dealership can order those spikes. Aren't they also the same standard spikes as used on the 066/MS660?

I had an 066 with the standard large dog on the inside, and an aftermarket oversize dog on the outside. They were mismatched, but in a way it made sense. For one thing, if you were not paying attention and dogging the saw into a cut that was separating, there would be far less chance of the dogs being in contact at the same time, and pulled apart, or bent.

These are on my 440, 460 use's the same numbers.
This is the numbers I ordered, No kit that I know of.
Outside 1128-664-0501
Inside 1122-664-0506
Chain Catcher 1122-650-7700

MY MISTAKE NUMBERS I GIVE ARE FOR 460

NUMBERS FOR OUTSIDE SPIKE FOR 440 & 460 ARE DIFFERENT
440 OUTSIDE SPIKE IS 1122-664-0501

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
If you're talking about Alan Stray at Madsen's, he is first class all the way. I have met him in person, and had one 046 Madsenized in the process. Even so, I believe any dealership can order those spikes. Aren't they also the same standard spikes as used on the 066/MS660?

madsenized???are you referring to modding??i suppose you are..i didn't know that did such a thing. is there any way you could share some of the details with us?
I got a Madsen's Big dog kit on my 044... with the chain catcher. You won't be dissappointed.

Gary
do you happen to have a picture of these?:cheers:

Agree with Trigger-Time. Those are the same part #s I order for my Stihl's. The dawgs are much larger than the small ones that ship with the 440/460. Take a look at his pics and you will see the bottom spike to be lower & longer than the small factory ones, so my saws do not roller over as easy when I set them down. A small, but nice, advantage. But for those that want the BIG dawgs, follow GASoline71's advise--call Madsens.

The slang term 'Madsenized' is kind of like 'Walkerized'. Harbor Saw in Aberdeen, WA does the same thing basically, with a few differences. Madsens' official name for it, if they still even offer that service, is 'Power Tune'. You might also have heard the term 'woods tune'. Baiscally, they balance and blueprint the engine, or so they say, and shave the jug for added compression. They also do some work to the intake/exhaust timing. Walker's Saw Shop in Nanaimo, BC also used to plug the compression release on saws equipped with same.

The common sentiment is that on a production saw in moderate to large timer, a woods tune can not only boost performance, but in some cases at least, actually prolong the life of the saw. In small to medium wood, especially with an inexperienced operator, it can turn a saw into a grenade.

There are lots of folks here who know more about this than me. Unfortunately, the day will probably come when EPA puts an end to this as well.

The slang term 'Madsenized' is kind of like 'Walkerized'. Harbor Saw in Aberdeen, WA does the same thing basically, with a few differences. Madsens' official name for it, if they still even offer that service, is 'Power Tune'. You might also have heard the term 'woods tune'. Baiscally, they balance and blueprint the engine, or so they say, and shave the jug for added compression. They also do some work to the intake/exhaust timing. Walker's Saw Shop in Nanaimo, BC also used to plug the compression release on saws equipped with same.

The common sentiment is that on a production saw in moderate to large timer, a woods tune can not only boost performance, but in some cases at least, actually prolong the life of the saw. In small to medium wood, especially with an inexperienced operator, it can turn a saw into a grenade.

There are lots of folks here who know more about this than me. Unfortunately, the day will probably come when EPA puts an end to this as well.

yea..kinda what i figured..ive got a modded saw..and and in the processes of building one right now..i just didn't realize that madsens did it to..thanks for the info

the stocker double dawgs on my 361 are just a bit too small...
not enough to bite into the bark on some occasions...
which throws me off

so i ordered the 460 dawgs (440s were backordered)
from bailey's those were nice looking, but made the
saw sit at a funny angle in the back of the truck,
with half of the saw's weight on the inner dawg
and they bite too hard into the bark

so... are the stihl 440/460 dawgs smaller
than bailey's monster 460 dawgs?

if they are, might just be the ticket

Last edited:
I'm pretty certian 440 and 460 use different part numbers, the 460s will be mismatched on a 440 and will fit, but the chain catcher holes wont line up

If you call Madsen's and ask for a "big dog kit" you will get a new inner and outer dog... the ceramic roller chain catcher, and the mounting hardware.

They are black, and are not Stihl parts. 044/440 or 046/460... they got 'em.

I will have to dig a pic up somewhere... :help:

Gary

I'm pretty certian 440 and 460 use different part numbers, the 460s will be mismatched on a 440 and will fit, but the chain catcher holes wont line up

The numbers for the 460 were given in an earlier post. Ordering tomorrow. :cheers: I'd like to get some for the 440 as well. Previous posts have referenced the 440 and 460 using the same number, others have said they won't fit exactly. Anybody able to clarify? Or provide 440 numbers that will work?
Thanks!
Shane.

Latest posts

Back