MS461 Giveaway Saw Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great reference thread that has a lot of answers to fill in the gaps on how to do this work.
I look over it from time to time and pick up a little more each time.

Randy i have about 6 magnetic indicator bases if you need any.

Sorry I missed this post Mr. Bilge Rat Sir.

I have several bases now. Amazing now we gather up tools ain't it?

Bump for another feller that is learning to cut squish bands.
Hey Randy thanks for bringing this back up, I just bought a 359 I'm gonna port, not sure to what extent though. I just watched the vid on the degree wheel, quick question, do you bring the saw to TDC and then adjust the piston stop or is there a predetermined spot where you place it.And would you happen to have a recipe for a 359.

Hey Randy thanks for bringing this back up, I just bought a 359 I'm gonna port, not sure to what extent though. I just watched the vid on the degree wheel, quick question, do you bring the saw to TDC and then adjust the piston stop or is there a predetermined spot where you place it.And would you happen to have a recipe for a 359.

Tighten the piston stop, bump against it. While holding against it, set the wheel on zero. Then rotate the crank around till, the piston hits the stop at the other end of the stroke. Read the wheel, divide that number by two, reset the wheel to that number while the piston is touching the stop. Rotate the crank to contact the stop at both ends of the stroke, the wheel should read the same number at each end.

On the 359, unshrould the lower transfers. Shoot for 103/122/and just widen the intake.

Tighten the piston stop, bump against it. While holding against it, set the wheel on zero. Then rotate the crank around till, the piston hits the stop at the other end of the stroke. Read the wheel, divide that number by two, reset the wheel to that number while the piston is touching the stop. Rotate the crank to contact the stop at both ends of the stroke, the wheel should read the same number at each end.

On the 359, unshrould the lower transfers. Shoot for 103/122/and just widen the intake.
Thanks, what's unshrould mean, I aint that smart. So I'm guessing the piston stop is not TDC but a reference point.

Hello MM, Stihl rates the MS461 at 6hp in the USA. Reading this outstanding documented ported and built MS461, what hp do you estimate now?

Wow! What a great read! It's gonna be a great reference tool when I get started with my saws.
Thanks Randy!

So after nearly two years, have you learned anything that you'd change in building this model?

Most surprising part for me was keeping the exhaust port narrow. Makes tons of sense.

Did the winner ever check the compression after run in?

Where does one purchase those jets?

So after nearly two years, have you learned anything that you'd change in building this model?

Most surprising part for me was keeping the exhaust port narrow. Makes tons of sense.

Did the winner ever check the compression after run in?

Where does one purchase those jets?

Nope, I still do em the same way.

I'm trying to build saws that will hopefully last.......a wide exhaust is not good for the rings.

Who won? I can't remember. :laugh:

I drill the stock jet oversized.

Back