MS461 Giveaway Saw Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your the Man Randy! Great work! Three years ago I didn't even know AS. I was just a stock saw firewood guy. Now because of all this type of info I have reworked all my saws. I ported my first saw two years ago. I bought a lathe and started cutting squish band and bases a year ago. I designed and built a chainsaw dyno nine month ago. Thanks for all the great informative threads over the years Randy I and many others really enjoy it.
Would you be interested in dyno testing that 461 against my stock 461? If it blows on the dyno I'll ship you a new one. I could compare that 461 to a stock 460 and a 660 also. I'll pay the shipping both ways and to the winner.

Your the Man Randy! Great work! Three years ago I didn't even know AS. I was just a stock saw firewood guy. Now because of all this type of info I have reworked all my saws. I ported my first saw two years ago. I bought a lathe and started cutting squish band and bases a year ago. I designed and built a chainsaw dyno nine month ago. Thanks for all the great informative threads over the years Randy I and many others really enjoy it.
Would you be interested in dyno testing that 461 against my stock 461? If it blows on the dyno I'll ship you a new one. I could compare that 461 to a stock 460 and a 660 also. I'll pay the shipping both ways and to the winner.

It's not my saw, so I really don't feel like I can make that call. If the winner is cool with that, then I'll ship it to you, and you can send it on to him.

If y'all make fun of my talking I'll kick Thomas1 in the sack. :mad:
Ha ha you talk funny Randy. Now I want a vid of you kicking Thomas1 in the sack.
My wife is from Reading Mass and my in-laws live in Boston. They really talk funny up there. They think I talk funny too.

Ha ha you talk funny Randy. Now I want a vid of you kicking Thomas1 in the sack.
My wife is from Reading Mass and my in-laws live in Boston. They really talk funny up there. They think I talk funny too.

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone did it. My brother lives in NYC....he says I talk like a XXXXing hick. :(

I knew it was just a matter of time before someone did it. My brother lives in NYC....he says I talk like a XXXXing hick. :(
I'd much rather hear you talk all day than listen to that nutty Boston language. Drives me nuts when my wife starts talking like that when were in Boston for a visit.

I'd much rather hear you talk all day than listen to that nutty Boston language. Drives me nuts when my wife starts talking like that when were in Boston for a visit.
If I win it you can play with it.Now can you swing me a Demo Farmall 140(and I don't mean the one from 1959) One's about as likely to happen as the other.

I get why you would lower the base to increase compression but please explain why you cut the squish band.

I get why you would lower the base to increase compression but please explain why you cut the squish band.

Have you ever heard of someone having a set of heads shaved on an automobile engine? Cutting the squish band is the same thing. By cutting the area around the combustion chamber, I make the combustion chamber smaller. The smaller chamber raises the compression ratio. On this engine that increases static compression about 40PSI.

Would it be easier to cut the base of the cylinder on a mill?

It would take much longer to set up.......and what if this jug had cylinder extensions? Milling around those would be a pain in the ass.

I know that my ignorance is broad and deep, but I can't quite grasp how removing material from the combustion chamber makes it smaller. I do understand that machining the base will cause a bump in compression. Do you remove material from the combustion chamber area to give clearance/allowance for the base machining?trying not to sound like a complete idiot just trying to wrap my head around the idea. Thank you very much for taking the time to post the pics/process.

Good stuff here guys. Hats off to you Randy what your doing is awesome in every way. will stay tuned

Latest posts

Back