MS461 Giveaway Saw Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is definitely the best saw building thread I've seen. I too wish I could see a video on every stage of the build. Anyway the lathe work and the porting work. Thanks a lot Randy. I thought I heard Stevie Ray Vaughan on one of those videos. You're a man of fine taste also.

I saw SRV in Raleigh, NC many years ago.........changed muh life.

I saw SRV in Raleigh, NC many years ago.........changed muh life.

He died here in WI. I had known him a little, but I was just a teenager. It took a couple years for me to fully appreciate him. I envy you. There is something about hearing someone play guitar like that live, that just cuts right to the soul.

Nah. It was Liberace who changed his life forever...

Liberace_Colour_Allan_Warren-e1369862399747-1280x960.jpg

Great tutorial Randy. Is this the lathe that you picked up at Ernie's?

No Gary, it was a mill that I picked up at Ernie's. I've not done anything with it yet.

This lathe, I bought new from Enco. It's a cheap Chinese tool, that needed lots of work to be something that was really worth using. I'm pretty happy with it now though.

Ok....I know I shouldn't admit this to you guys....but, I did see Liberace live in Green Bay when I was 15. You see when I was little I asked Mom and Dad if I could learn to play guitar. They didn't care for that idea, but they talked me into keyboard lessons, saying if I didn't like it I could quit. Well, they didn't let me quit until about the time I got my drivers license. They thought seeing Liberace would be good for me. I have to admit, he was a hell of a entertainer. I took my kids to see BB King when they were 15 and 17.

OK, I see you guys are getting distracted. Back to the saw. :D

Getting ready to check squish. I've got a few rolls of .030" soft solder that I picked up on ebay awhile back, that's why I twist this stuff up like this. That and it's real handy to be able to make it any size I need. I should point out here that if your solder is too large it will give you a false reading.....

This bolt holds that flange/stuffer hicky, and it is higher than the case where the jug bolts down. If you try to delete the base gasket on the 461, you must grind the head of these two bolts down about .020".

We now have .065" squish clearance. We'll want to take .040" off the base to end up at .025.

Last edited:
Here's some of the mandrels I've made to fit different cylinders....

Here you can see that I've changed the chuck to a three jaw, and am using a UHMW mandrel to mount the jug in the lathe.

Sorry about the blurry picture. :(

I use an aluminum plate, with a small hole drilled thru it, between the live center and the top of the jug to allow me to bump the cylinder around when centering it in the lathe.

Then I set up the dial indicator to read the mandrel as close the the base of the jug as possible.

Bump....

Bump....til the runout is gone.

Now we are ready to turn the base.

Now we set up a degree wheel to check and set port timing.

I use 1/16" SS tig wire for my pointers. You just need a good place to mount the pointer.

And this is what we use for a wheel.

Mounted to the crank with a 1/2" drill chuck. Mike (Homelite410) made me a couple of these .125" thick X 7" aluminum wheels. They work perfect, I just print my wheels to size on heavy card stock, and glue them on with Super 77.

Latest posts

Back