Ms461 saw design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in 20 degrees of blowdown, it's supposed to have enough combustion pressure left to back stuff combustion gasses into the uppers?

Also, If your intake has already closed at 71 degrees, its already had 32 degrees with of crankcase pressure increase from the downward piston motion. Isn't the crankcase super tight as well?

I'm no retired engineer, but.... The math don't add up for me to conclude that it actually stuffs the uppers with exhaust gasses...

Stop it, that makes too much sense. Did the marketing guys clear that statement with the engineers?

Negative.

I think my strato is plugged up....
Call Stihl and they will sell u a 400$ deflector plate from a 461 muffler and weld it across ur muffler outlet and bingo!!! YOU HAVE Stratified Delayed Scaveging Technology!! Guaranteed to stuff manifolds and increase heat in ur engine!!

I think my wife needs a diffuser to assist in cooling during her occasional temperature (TEMPER) increases!

I think my wife needs a diffuser to assist in cooling during her occasional temperature (TEMPER) increases!
Be sure to not block her exhaust or it will build more heat!! Remember passing thoso 100$ bills in front of her will be like doing a muffler mod and she will become alot less restrictive

Be sure to not block her exhaust or it will build more heat!! Remember passing thoso 100$ bills in front of her will be like doing a muffler mod and she will become alot less restrictive

Do you have the engineer's tech report to back this up or are you just going by hype generated by the marketing dept?

One good thing I have learned from this thread is seperating marketing from basic principles of 2 strokes. Im ready to read a build thread on a 362c! Maybe someone will tear into one soon!

One good thing I have learned from this thread is seperating marketing from basic principles of 2 strokes. Im ready to read a build thread on a 362c! Maybe someone will tear into one soon!

Forget about someone else tearing into their saw, YOU rip into yours! The pleasure you get from doing your own mods is far greater than using a saw built by someone else.

How many hrs a day do u run ur saws Gologit?

A faller's day out here is 6 1/2 hours so maybe five hours total out of that. It's not gentle running, either...balls to the wall as much as possible.
A landing saw, bucking and bumping knots, will run quite a bit longer maybe six or eight hours.

A faller's day out here is 6 1/2 hours so maybe five hours total out of that. It's not gentle running, either...balls to the wall as much as possible.
A landing saw, bucking and bumping knots, will run quite a bit longer maybe six or eight hours.[/QUOTe
The Stihls hold up well for yall? How about Dolmar and Huskys?

Forget about someone else tearing into their saw, YOU rip into yours! The pleasure you get from doing your own mods is far greater than using a saw built by someone else.

That's great and all......but most guys don't have a lathe, the proper tooling, nor right angle handpieces in the ol' toolbox. Unless you consider porting a saw just widening the ports a little.

Agreed but Im not confident to that point yet

Confidence grows little by little. My first porting on saws, was to enlarge the exhaust port outlet and flatten it to the entry. Use the muffler gasket, file the opening out to the bead, then use that to scribe a line on the cylinder, then go at it. After you run that awhile, you'll want to go in and grind some more some where else.

Not unless your skills are good enough to produce a comparable saw. I can make one run better than stock, but my skills are up to Brad's or Randy's (or a handfull of others here).

That's great and all......but most guys don't have a lathe, the proper tooling, nor right angle handpieces in the ol' toolbox. Unless you consider porting a saw just widening the ports a little.
Agreed! I was impressed with the setup and tolerances on the 461 giveaway thread I read through the other day

A landing saw, bucking and bumping knots, will run quite a bit longer maybe six or eight hours.

Gologit, what's your most used saw? Also, what fuel/oil mix ratio do you use?

Latest posts

Back