MS650??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That I don't know, I know he rebuilds his others saws as needed he did say he never liked that enough to go through the trouble. And I don't question the guys integrity in the least. He is actually my neighbor and will let me bring it home and check it out with out buying it first, so i may do that tonight.
Maybe the cylinder is good. Get a meteor piston and go!!
If not get an OEM used 066/660 cylinder and meteor piston.

bigbev you have to understand some of these guys are, well anal-retentive when it comes to all things chainsaw. When was it made? Where was it made? Which company manufactured the cylinder? When did they change to the plastic fuel tank? Flippy caps, cat converters, chain brakes, spur sprockets, combustion chamber shape, etc etc.
Chainsaws are not just a tool to them. Some have new saws never before having been used. It is worse that classic car collecting, I tell you.
Any knowledge about who made the 044 cylinders that were just marked Stihl 1128 020 1227?

I once had a 650, bought it from another country .. needed repair. 52mm bore = 84.9cc, piston rings 52x1.2mm. Is there any 52mm / MS650 aftermarket pistons available ?

As you know the stihl 660 cylinder 54mm = 91.6cc, different piston and cylinder. You can of course install the ms 660 cylinder / piston.

what will knowing where the saw is manufactured tell me?

Satisfy my morbid curiosity. You don't want to know what questions I ask people in first person.

That`s not right. The cylinder and base gasket between the MS 651 and 661 is not the same. Only the piston is the same on the MS 651 and 661. The piston on the 651, 661 is it`s own series (1144) only for these two, it`s not compareable with a 660 (1122) piston.

That's right instead. Same thing means "a saw chiefly made for the Brazilian market downrated to use lower octane fuel". ;)

Ok so I picked the saw up this evening and according to @conquistador3 and the serial number its a German made 650! He offered it to me for 250 I may be able to do a little better but I don’t know. I’m really thinking hard about this one as I really don’t need it but am interested in fixing it. He told if I decide against it to try to pass it along!

I been collecting a few saws, I have my biggest Stihl saw is a 041 farm boss. I’m looking for the next size bigger? 056? 076?

I been collecting a few saws, I have my biggest Stihl saw is a 041 farm boss. I’m looking for the next size bigger? 056? 076?
I just restored an 041 AV Farm Boss. It runs beautifully. Noisy to let yop know how strong it is, the only thing I could not fix was a slow bar oil leak when at rest. Owner says he can live with that. He pulls a 25" bar with it. No problem at all. That old beast is stronger than any MS290 I have ever run. You would have to go up to an 046 Mag to beat it. Those are around.

Latest posts

Back