MS660 Carb adjustment limiters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Forgive me because I know this has been posted but the search function just wont come up for me. I have opened up the muffler on my year old 660 and with the hi screw against the stop my RPMs are WAY high. Since the stops look to be internal I thought I would ask how to remove or reset the stops instead of taking the chance of trashing my carb. Thanks in advance.

Best to buy the correct tool from a Stihl dealer - about $5. And a couple of spare caps - (only 50c each). Some will report success with drywall screws etc, but...

I take another look but I saw no external caps or stops, it appeared to be an internal deal? Will repost aftar I look it over, Thanks.

When the search dont work for me, go to search area and right click on search and then click open. It will open a whole new page for the search. different way, but works.

They are internal and they mess together. A drywall or deck screw will work if you are carefull, and it is best to have the carb off if trying this method.

I don't remember off the top of my head, but they will only come off at one spot ie the low side will be as far clockwise as it can (against the stop) and the High will be the farthest counterclockwise (against the stop). It is either this way or the vice versa of it.

Once they "meshed" they will pull straight out with a good drywall or deck screw.

***Warning this method can result in damage to the limiter cap***

I have used this technique with much success and removed the stops on the caps and reinstalled them for the extra screwdriver slot.

Thank you men, I figgured it out. Just to jog your memory the high speed had to be against the open stop and the idle has halfway. I could see the stops through the slot in the casting they must slip through before I pulled them.

Back