MS660 not oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My 660 hasn't been putting out enough oil for awhile now and recently quit all together. I flushed the oil tank with saw mix several times, checked the oil hole, changed the pump drive and made sure it mates with the drum. The saw doesn't pump oil with the bar off and the clutch engaged. The bar is also perfectly clean on both sides. The adjustment doesn't feel like my other saws in that there is no stop when I turn the adjusting screw toward the more oil position. The screw just spins.

I think I need a new oil pump. First off is there more than one pump offered? I run a 36" bar. Secondly can I replace the pump myself or should the saw shop do it. And third is there any thing else that should be checked or replaced when the saw is apart on the bench. The clutch, drum, and pump drive are all new and in good shape, the intake boot is new and the saw runs and idles fine. Thanks guys.

How old is that saw and how much have you used it bro??? Have you tried some kerosene? A buddy of mine suggested the kerosene to me for one of mine every month or so, I also only run Winter oil now and I have far fewer problems with oilers and what not. As far as replacing the pump, if you can do it why not??? Good luck bro.

Cheers eh?
:cheers:

Once again you guys come through with exactly what I need. Thank you all. Andy if the pump is stripped and I need a new one what is the part number of the Australian HO pump? Thanks again.

Is the 460 pump the same as the 990 pump?

Last edited:
Once again you guys come through with exactly what I need. Thank you all. Andy if the pump is stripped and I need a new one what is the part number of the Australian HO pump? Thanks again.

Is the 460 pump the same as the 990 pump?

The HO pump assy is not currently listed so I'll need to look it up somewhere else.

don't know what a 990 is, so I can't compare it to a 460.

Uhmm, the 990, yeah that is super secret and I should not have mentioned it. Forget you read it here. OK.

So lets say I wanted to know if a 460 and a 660 oil pump were the same. Yeah that should throw them off the scent.

The complete pump is 1122-640-3201. Got this # from Stihl customer service at 1-888-784-8575. My dealer only orders once a month so have to wait another week or two to see if it shows up. That part # is not in the book at leist the one my dealer has. He tryed entering in just the control bolt & piston no match. The complete pump did pop up so looks likes its a go. :chainsaw:

Oilhead I'm sorry I don't quite understand your post. Is the part number you listed for the standard pump or the HO pump? My dealer orders parts as needed. I can't imagine only ordering once a month.

That part # is the complete High Output pump & is the # the guy gave me when I called Virgina Beach. I wasnt aware there was a wharehouse on the west coast. The dealer I use only orders parts every 4 or 5 weeks. From what the tech. told me he does it this way to save on shipping. He also told me when people find out how long its gonna take to get a saw repaired some of them will buy a new saw because they cant wait that long. The only reason I continue doing business with him is because I've gotten 2 clean saws from him a 036 Pro with good 20" bar for $ 150 & the 066 with 36" bar & almost new chain for $ 200. Both needed cylinders a pistons lean seasures out the exhaust side on hot days.

That part # is the complete High Output pump & is the # the guy gave me when I called Virgina Beach. I wasnt aware there was a wharehouse on the west coast. The dealer I use only orders parts every 4 or 5 weeks. From what the tech. told me he does it this way to save on shipping. He also told me when people find out how long its gonna take to get a saw repaired some of them will buy a new saw because they cant wait that long. The only reason I continue doing business with him is because I've gotten 2 clean saws from him a 036 Pro with good 20" bar for $ 150 & the 066 with 36" bar & almost new chain for $ 200. Both needed cylinders a pistons lean seasures out the exhaust side on hot days.

Saying it will take 4-5 weeks to fix a saw because of parts ordering is a joke.. We aren't a big dealer and we order every 2 days.. freight on parts is tiny... and we don't pass it on. There's a 40% margin on parts...

Well I ordered the HO oil pump late yesterday 11/06 so we shall see how long it takes. The dealer said about 1 week and the cost will be $74.00 plus tax. I don't know if I have to pay shipping. It is really nice to be able to order parts like this over the phone and not have to pay beforehand. This is exactly the kind of thing that is important to me. I will never worry whether the dealer is making "too much" profit when he trusts me enough to order oddball parts no questions asked. They also stock the full range of Stihl saws including the 880, trimmers, hedgers, and even an auger. Me want auger!

Dont forget to install the seal prior to bolting down the new pump. The tech did tell me the stihl parts order went out last thursday 1 week after the owner said it would be placed. Thanks for the info there should'nt be any excuse this time for the parts not arriving this week. :deadhorse: Also wanted to get some ultra oil on this order but was told I'd have to wait untill he places his 100 case order. 6-8 more weeks for that but at 25 % discount for any case lot purchase.

Latest posts

Back