MS660 prepurchase HELP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1dragon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys looks like I may finally get a big boy saw. Probably going to look at it tomorrow evening. Anyway my question is what tools would I need exactly to remove the muffler and look at the cylinder. Just want to make sure I have what I need to check it out. Also this 660 has normal caps, approximately when did they change over to flippys? Trying to get a rough estimate of age. Owners says he thinks 5 years, it looks to be a very clean saw. Thanks guys!

All you need to take the muffler cover off is a T-27 torx bit. There is no such thing as a 066/660 with flippy caps, they never had them.

The 066/660 doesn't have flippy caps. . . To inspect the bore -- bring a flashlight and a scrench and view it through the plug hole -- no need to pull the can.

If you do want to pull it (the cover) bring a torx T27 wrench/bit with you.

A comp tester would be nice to bring wit you as well.

The 'pull test' or 'drop test' can be deceiving.

Perfect, thanks guys! I will bring my compression tester as well. Anything else particular to this saw to look out for?

Perfect, thanks guys! I will bring my compression tester as well. Anything else particular to this saw to look out for?

Just any real obvious signs of abuse.

If you have one of those fancy smart phone thingies -- snap some pictures while you're there and post them in this thread. :popcorn:

Anything else particular to this saw to look out for?

Voice of Experience (still trying to straighten out my recent ms440 purchase):

"Clean" exterior appearance doesn't necessarily preclude serious wear or broken parts. In general, look for signs that the case and sprocket/clutch cover were repainted; this could mask the signs of heavy use. Also look on the bottom for wear. Take off clutch/sprocket cover and check for damaged chain catcher and side plate. Wiggle clutch bell to check for excessive play at the needle bearing. Remove recoil start grille and check flywheel for broken fins and observe whether this area has been kept clean. Confirm normal master control switch operation at all four positions. Ask seller to start the saw cold rather than pre-warming it before you arrive. Make sure it accelerates crisply and idles smoothly at proper rpm's w/out chain spinning. Engage brake while engine is running to check for proper operation. Ask owner to put it in some wood to gauge performance at WOT.

Good luck and happy hunting.

With it running, turn it sideways and up side down, slowly, and see if there is any change in engine speed. when I bought my 660 I turned it every which way and the idle did not change. If it changes, you may have an air leak.

Good luck!!!

Pull the air filter and look inside the carb for excessive dust. Check that all the AV mounts are intact and that the handle and crankcase have no breaks or cracks at the AV areas. Make sure the spike mount on the case isn't broken.

Look on the rear handle foot pad at the emission decal. If there is MD and four digits the first two are the year and the second two are the month of manufacture. If it has DOM it's the opposite, the first two are the month and the last two are the year. They switched from MD to DOM somewhere in 2008 I believe.

Okay guys just have to update you all. Met with the guy last night, gave the saw a pretty through check out( thanks to you all). I can say that I am a proud new owner of a MS 660!! I know pics or it didn't happen. I will get some pics up hopefully tomorrow. Got home late last night and on my way to the AG show today.

Awesome - That's serious business. Let us know how you like it in wood.
Can I ask what you paid? There's one in my local CL that appears to be property owner occasional use asking $750 - but not sure I can justify the need.

Sure I paid 650.00 for it. Starts, runs, idles fantastic! Had it idling upside down and all around with zero effect. Compression was 145 and may be more was having a little issue with the tester banging around. Inside carb spotless, cylinder looks great, av mounts good, chain brake works. I really couldn't find any problems with it.

Congrats. Looks like a decent saw at a fair price. Enjoy. (Now don't be eying those trees at the neighbor's house thinking they need to come down. lol)

Congrats. Looks like a decent saw at a fair price. Enjoy. (Now don't be eying those trees at the neighbor's house thinking they need to come down. lol)

LOL, well I have some trees down that I need to cut up, so for now the neighbors trees are safe:hmm3grin2orange: The saw originally had a 36" bar on it and the guy traded with a buddy of his because he said it was too long for him. so in this he tells me that the thiing he didn't like was it flings the bar oil off the 28" bar. So I ask him if he adjusted the oiler down, he says HUH. I showed him where the adjustment is he laughs and says I never knew that. He did state he always ran it with Sthil oil at 40to1 on premium gas. Haven't had it in wood yet but it is very nice to see oil spraying off the bar! At least it should have enough pump for a bigger bar. I think I see a muff mod coming in the very near future.:msp_biggrin:

Yep, decent saw that looks like it was treated well. Remember if you mod the muffler you'll need to fatten it up/richen the high speed once yer done. those saws will take a hell of a lot more abuse and running than that one has. 40:1 is what I run on mine to and I run it a little fat too. Just remember though that saw has a lot of power so be careful with the nose it can kick back pretty violent if you get careless. Just cut slow and careful for a while till you get used to it and you'll be ok. You will love that saw.

Last edited:
NICE SAW! You got a heck of a deal on it too!

Some here feel that the MS 660 is a turd but I sure like mine! :rock:

Go cut wood!

NICE SAW! You got a heck of a deal on it too!

Some here feel that the MS 660 is a turd but I sure like mine! :rock:

Go cut wood!

Thank you! Yea I thought it was a good price for the shape it's in. I sure couldn't find anything cheaper that was in anywhere near this condition for that price, and I had been looking for months. Didn't even try getting him lower on the price, just knew that was the one i wanted and forked over the cash.

Latest posts

Back