MS660 stock to big bore conversion...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hated limbing with the thing, LOL, you had to hit the trigger about .5 second before hitting the limb, just to get the revs up high enough, but in a big cut you could just pull on it hard and it would just cut right along very nicely.

Sam

My 066BB (NWP from Baileys - i like to call it the 666), seems like it's almost the same as the stock 066 was for acceleration, but seems a bit happier with a slightly slower WOT no load rpm. I haven't tach'd it, but I'd have to say that it pulls the same or better rpms in the wood even with only a couple tanks through it. The BB has a bit more compression than the stocker as well...enough that I use the decomp on cold starts.

Limbing with it (32") is and always was lameballs compared to the 440 with the 28" es light bar...

You still awake Matt
How did you find the lube in the crank case of the stocky,was there sh_t loads,enough,not enough ?.
I see also the skirt on the BB piston to be different on the bottom sides anyone know what the go is there ?.

You were saying ya have a 650 to play with,in stock form i bet if ya took the decals off you could not tell the difference and pick which is what,i ran a brand new one the other day and it was strong even on its first tank of fuel.

Keep up the good work.
Or ya almost got me with ya annual subscription :biggrin:

It would be interesting to see if ya put a tach on the older ported 441 and one on the new ported 441 C M-Tronic and see fuel use and hrs between them.

I was thinking the same thing, amoung other things related to how much wood is getting on the ground. For instance if I am at the jobsite (as a cutter) for say 10 hours, and my saw has 6 hours of cutting time on it. I'm wasting or using 4 hours for something that isn't related to cutting, which means I need to get it into gear. Lotsa variables, I know, but it helps you get a feel for how things are going and what is efficient and what isn't.

Pretty neat. Where you guys have them mounted on the side of the handle bar looks to be as good as any of a place. I don't think I would destroy it if it was there and the zip ties had maybe a little give on it.

Sam

You need to measure the transfer port widths, depths, and heights. Both of my 460BB had horribly small transfer ports that took hours of grinding to equal the factory cylinder. You can get rpms out of the big bores, but it takes some work.

I was thinking the same thing, amoung other things related to how much wood is getting on the ground. For instance if I am at the jobsite (as a cutter) for say 10 hours, and my saw has 6 hours of cutting time on it. I'm wasting or using 4 hours for something that isn't related to cutting, which means I need to get it into gear. Lotsa variables, I know, but it helps you get a feel for how things are going and what is efficient and what isn't.

Pretty neat. Where you guys have them mounted on the side of the handle bar looks to be as good as any of a place. I don't think I would destroy it if it was there and the zip ties had maybe a little give on it.

Sam

I have them zip ties to the handle on the clutch side and they dont get in the way at all,when ya get them you will find the the wire is a mile to long,cut the wire about 2 or 3 inchs to long then strip the outer black wire coating off and just wrap the red part of the wire around the spark plug wire,zip tie on and ya sweet.
I was going to use one to work out the extra fuel use with a ported 660 v stock 660 as in time taken to do a fixed number of cuts and the time it took compared to fuel use,but i havnt got around to it,one day.
Got to go to bed its 1.42 am see ya
Andrew

hay matt i would have liked to seen the results of a tocho on that job at the orange place those were great vids

Thanks for the excellent pics and information, MCW.
Maybe it's just the pic, but looks like the chinese jug has the usual black ring of death at the top of the bore.

Yup. You're correct mtn. The ring exists :)

You still awake Matt
How did you find the lube in the crank case of the stocky,was there sh_t loads,enough,not enough ?.

Heaps of lube mate - no issues there at all.

hay matt i would have liked to seen the results of a tocho on that job at the orange place those were great vids

Hi mate. The only time I ran a tach on that job was on the pop upped and ported 660 that Brad built for me. That thing was pulling over 11,000rpm in the cut, in hardwood, with a 32" bar buried and an 8 pin rim sprocket. It was an angry saw :)

Last edited:
pop upped 660

Hi mate. The only time I ran a tach on that job was on the pop upped and ported 660 that Brad built for me. That thing was pulling over 11,000rpm in the cut, in hardwood, with a 32" bar buried and an 8 pin rim sprocket. It was an angry saw

better to have a angry saw than a angry woman :cheers: :dizzy:

Yep that 660 Matt had from Brad (second one) did have some big hairy ones,its the strongest 660 i have ever run,it even sounded like the misses goin off when shes angry.:msp_ohmy:

Yep that 660 Matt had from Brad (second one) did have some big hairy ones,its the strongest 660 i have ever run,it even sounded like the misses goin off when shes angry.:msp_ohmy:

HA HA HA HA .
i ain't ever heard no woman sound that good angry:angry: or frendly HA HA :laugh:
:cheers:

If your missus sounds as good as this when she's angry Andrew I wanna marry her :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xY6DRhr9e_o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back