MS660 vs 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would just ell your buddy that yours is better because your parts cost more.he will tell you is air filtration is better.

stock,he will beat you if his chain is sharp and he is tuned right.with the dual port you will run with him or just behind him.

i personally hate inboard clutches.i like keeping my saws clean and pulling the inboard clutch off to clean all that crap out from underneath there is a PITA.

out board clutch helps hold the bar when replacing chains.especially the long ones.

That sure was a new angle on it.........:jawdrop:

I like them on smaller saws (mainly 50+/- cc and less), but not on larger saws - but if I was milling I would want them as well, but I am not.

We do sell a few to guys that are milling. Either way its not a big deal either way. Some people just have to complain about something.

20 years ago I took my modded Stihl 064 to a "stock appearing only" speed cutting competition sponsored by Husqvarna out on Vancouver Island. Dual port mufflers were not out yet for Stihl 064s and the organizers tried to disqualify me [Bob Walker for one] for having holes drilled in my muffler. The decision was quickly over ruled by competitor Ron Hartill [7 time world lumberjack champion] . Ron proceeded to kick everybodies butt with his Poulan 655, I came close to Ron but not good enough.
I ran a Husqvarna 395XP the other day and it didn't seem any heavier then my 066 mag , maybe ergonomics has something to do with it. I am sure if the 395 muffler is opened up it would run alot stronger too. I just like the feel of the 395 while cutting -smooth and easy on the hands. I'm still leaning to getting a 390XP in the spring, with a few mods look out.

Just out of curiosity do you remember the details of your 064 drilled muffler mod? (size of the bit, and number of holes). I have a 064 to modify for someone.

We do sell a few to guys that are milling. Either way its not a big deal either way. Some people just have to complain about something.

Actually it is, when you want to change different rims around for different conditions - and more often than not for noodle cutting as well......

I guess you can find a reason for anything, I dont change the rims much. And it really isnt that hard to change one anyway.

My buddy and I bought our saws the same day and spent all winter cutting together (he bought the 660 and I bought the 395XPG. I used his and he used mine. I think I had just a hair more torque. However we both thought the saws were about equal (I sharpened both saw's chains on a Silvey grinder). I thought both saws were great! Just a touch too heavy and both way too expensive but you can really get a lot done with a 36 inch bar in big wood.

Just out of curiosity do you remember the details of your 064 drilled muffler mod? (size of the bit, and number of holes). I have a 064 to modify for someone.

If you remember the 1st 064s with their heatshield with a full grid of holes covering the front of the muffler, there was about 1/4" gap between it and the muffler and if you drill the same size of holes[1/4"] 6 of them inline with them into the muffler it made it very hard to notice the drilled holes. The interior baffle cone [064 or 038? memory is slipping here] I removed completely.

All in what you get used to. I dont see a problem with an outboard.

I use my Stihl 090, 137cc worlds largest modern day production saw for extra heavy duty cutting and its huge outboard clutch with brake lining material says it all.
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back