MS660 wide deflector sprocket cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to replace the sprocket cover on my 660 and noticed there is a larger deflector version available.

Is this larger deflector version designed for saftey or performance??? I have a standard wrap bar.

Thanks.

the wider cover is for noodling. it allows for better discharge of the noodles that have a horrible habit of clogging the regular covers. id do it just cause they look cool.

the wider cover is for noodling. it allows for better discharge of the noodles that have a horrible habit of clogging the regular covers. id do it just cause they look cool.

Nope.

The extended clutch cover and its larger rubber flap are made for falling conditions when the saw is used clutch side up. Steep ground requires difficult positioning of the saw (and the faller) and this cover helps keep chips out of your face.

In addition I believe, not totally sure though, that Canadian regulations prohibit back chaining and therefore require a saw to have a full wrap bar.

Noodling is not done much professionally except when ripping an overly large log. The smaller the cover the better the noodle flow.

Nope.

The extended clutch cover and its larger rubber flap are made for falling conditions when the saw is used clutch side up. Steep ground requires difficult positioning of the saw (and the faller) and this cover helps keep chips out of your face.

In addition I believe, not totally sure though, that Canadian regulations prohibit back chaining and therefore require a saw to have a full wrap bar.

Noodling is not done much professionally except when ripping an overly large log. The smaller the cover the better the noodle flow.

Yep, actually does help when there is a little wind too and protects the clutch area a little more. As an added bonus it does make the saw look tougher though! It really only looks right on a full wrap and other than flush cutting stumps why have a half?

Yep, actually does help when there is a little wind too and protects the clutch area a little more. As an added bonus it does make the saw look tougher though! It really only looks right on a full wrap and other than flush cutting stumps why have a half?

Yeah, it really does help in the wind especially when you are cutting chest high or higher. I forgot about that. Thanks!

I don't stare at my saw so looks mean nothing to me. It may be an important factor to some people.

Yeah, it really does help in the wind especially when you are cutting chest high or higher. I forgot about that. Thanks!

I don't stare at my saw so looks mean nothing to me. It may be an important factor to some people.

It doesn't mean much to me either. I'm sure you've seen pics of mine here and there. Not much to stare at. More of a joke than anythng. This is the saw forum afterall where saw looks can be important. haha.

It also gives a little added protection when using a wrap handled saw. The botom part of the chain/sprocket is pretty close to the bottom of a standard cover and therefore the bend on the wrap handle. Like 2dogs mentioned, smaller covers noodle better.

Simply Amazing!!!!!!!:msp_biggrin: ROFLMAO

Last edited:
Quite a few have posted on here about how the large cover does not clear noodles as well. The 1/2 wrap saws have the small cover for a reason.

If you're going to be doing a lot of noodling, buy an old clutch cover and carve away everything but a good piece to hold the bar on. No more noodle clog problem. Be sure to wear good gloves in case you throw a chain.

Check out Will Maloff's book on chainsaw lumbermaking...he has some good pictures of such a set-up.

Last edited:
Quite a few have posted on here about how the large cover does not clear noodles as well. The 1/2 wrap saws have the small cover for a reason.

Yeah, my wide cover doesn't do so hot on noodles, but works great with a half wrap...lol. I think River Rat actually has my full wrap. Haven't missed it yet, but it's only been a few years. That may change this spring though, but I'll work around it.

Back