MS661 -- No Spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats me crossing my fingers......the switch showed nothing on the multimeter in terms of volts......and resistance test showed the circuit is wide open........clicking the switch tab didn't change any reading. Local dealer has 1 switch in stock. 70 bucks.
My buttocks shutter...I'm very afraid that the reality of all the Covid(ity) is a surging price for EVERYTHING that ever has or had a "social distance" from GY-Nah....and many switches do
If that doesn't solve the issue. PM me as I have a few 661s here I can mule some parts to and from until we do. Again some pics might uncover something we may have missed

Just throwing this comment up as a "by the way" non sequitur....
I had a 201tc here that gave me fits yesterday... would NOT tune itself proper through 3 solenoids and 2 carbs...turns out I did the reset without a bar and chain and it would NOT reset without it....once on and set and she's back....following the reset instructions for each different coil and solenoid combination is a bear but has to be word for word.

following the reset instructions for each different coil and solenoid combination is a bear but has to be word for word.
There are two procedures. One for pre-v3.0 ECMs and one for post v3.0 ECMs. Each require a bar and chain. And while the correct solenoid needs to be installed for a particular saw, (some will not take a white solenoid), the solenoid is irrelevant to which procedure is used.

There are two procedures. One for pre-v3.0 ECMs and one for post v3.0 ECMs. Each require a bar and chain. And while the correct solenoid needs to be installed for a particular saw, (some will not take a white solenoid), the solenoid is irrelevant to which procedure is used.
yes. currently......but when the "changes" and/or upgrades were being adapted it was not easy to figure out what coil you had and all we had was a "new" solenoid which often solved an issue...add in the new fuel filter and we had a party in the woodlots...

.... you aren't exactly handed a pre-v3.0 sticker on a saw (or post v3.0 for that matter)

Sure you are. Beginning with v2.1, the firmware version is printed on the emissions label. To my knowledge, 2.1 was never released domestically and North America went straight to v3.0 from v1.1. If there's no version number, it's pre v2.1 / v3.0 (unless field upgraded which would obviously already have the new parts anyway).

MTronVersionLocation.jpg
And just as a point of clarification, a factory reset of the ECM to a default condition (not to be confused with calibration) is all that is normally required after replacing a solenoid and is indeed done without a bar and chain. This is simply a startup and fast idle for 90 seconds without touching the trigger and then shutting down. That provides a clean slate for an actual v3.0 calibration procedure of 30~60 seconds followed by the WOT self-adjustment sequence with the bar and chain in place..., if calibration is required. And we're talking v3.0. Not 1.x. My bad if I misread what you were trying to get across there.

Sure you are. Beginning with v2.1, the firmware version is printed on the emissions label. To my knowledge, 2.1 was never released domestically and North America went straight to v3.0 from v1.1. If there's no version number, it's pre v2.1 / v3.0 (unless field upgraded which would obviously already have the new parts anyway).

And just as a point of clarification, a factory reset of the ECM to a default condition (not to be confused with calibration) is all that is normally required after replacing a solenoid and is indeed done without a bar and chain. This is simply a startup and fast idle for 90 seconds without touching the trigger and then shutting down. That provides a clean slate for an actual v3.0 calibration procedure of 30~60 seconds followed by the WOT self-adjustment sequence with the bar and chain in place..., if calibration is required. And we're talking v3.0. Not 1.x. My bad if I misread what you were trying to get across there.
Ahhhhhh where is the "emissions sticker " ? And can you make it bigger so us old guys can read it better :)

Mine says 1144 967 3501 H M3.0...

And my solonoid is green in color BTW, which I have never seen or heard of...
However, that's what's on the saw & I bought it new, at a local dealership, I opened the original box and was the only person to touch it since new, and haven't had one single issue or had/done any work to it since it came out of the box.

And my solonoid is green in color BTW, which I have never seen or heard of...
However, that's what's on the saw & I bought it new, at a local dealership, I opened the original box and was the only person to touch it since new, and haven't had one single issue or had/done any work to it since it came out of the box.
GREEN???? Wha da fu...
gg

just over a year, built in feb of 2019... Love it!! my all time favorite saw to date, I bought it as a big, use occasionally saw... Now I almost don't use any other saw I own, And I own a lot of saws. like way more than I'll ever need...

there's a little itty bitty barcode, like you'd read with a phone, but no part number... where would I look? I don't want to take apart the saw any further. like I said, it's a stellar runner.

allpower is who I bought it from, near albany ohio, but I don't have them do much work on my stuff.
It sat in inventory for awhile from what I was told, not a lot of people buy the 661's around here where we got mostly twigs for tree's, unless they're milling with it.

Latest posts

Back