MS880 envy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavefreak

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I stopped by a Stihl dealer. Offered me an MS880 with a 42 inch bar for about 400 off list...

:bang:

While it sounds like a good deal, I would have reservations. The 880 uses the large bar mount, so won't interchange bars with the smaller Stihls like the 660. Its a heavy beast, and while it would be great on an Alaskan Mill or occasional giant log, its too heavy for general cutting. The powerhead alone weighs as much as a 660 with 25" filled with fuel and oil.

I do have a 3120xp, and its similar in size and weight to the 880. I have only used it a few times, and most often just reach for my 066BB or 660.

Did you ask the dealer what kind of deal he could give you on a 660 with 36"?

While it sounds like a good deal, I would have reservations. The 880 uses the large bar mount, so won't interchange bars with the smaller Stihls like the 660. Its a heavy beast, and while it would be great on an Alaskan Mill or occasional giant log, its too heavy for general cutting. The powerhead alone weighs as much as a 660 with 25" filled with fuel and oil.

I do have a 3120xp, and its similar in size and weight to the 880. I have only used it a few times, and most often just reach for my 066BB or 660.

Did you ask the dealer what kind of deal he could give you on a 660 with 36"?

Didn't ask about a 660. Going to go back again on Saturday. This would be used almost exclusively with the 36 inch Alaskan I recently picked up. I'm gonna see if they have a deal on a splitter, too.

Back