MS880 keeps breaking off chain tensioner stud

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikereiche

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My MS880 keeps breaking off the stud on the chain tensioner - see image. These are genuine Stihl parts, not knock-offs. Any ideas? I've tried spot welding the stud in hole, but the weld weakens the plate and it breaks20230902_093001.jpg

sounds like user error, only adjust chain tension with the bolts loose, then tighten them
really shouldn't be a lot of stress on the tensioner pawl once the bar is tight.
The other thing it could be, is a worn or loose bar stud, allowing the bar to move far from its normal position, which would be extreme.

I've run saws without the tensioner on it at all, the bar nuts hold the bar in place. Especially on a longer saw, 088 with a 72" or 84" bar, no tensioner on it.

Anything longer than 36" I wouldn't even bother trying to get the chain on the bar when assembling, just bend the bar sideways until you can pop the chain over the tip, then loosen the nuts a little, jerk it tight (helps if you have a vice or two guys) and tighten the bar nuts

I've run saws without the tensioner on it at all, the bar nuts hold the bar in place. Especially on a longer saw, 088 with a 72" or 84" bar, no tensioner on it.

Anything longer than 36" I wouldn't even bother trying to get the chain on the bar when assembling, just bend the bar sideways until you can pop the chain over the tip, then loosen the nuts a little, jerk it tight (helps if you have a vice or two guys) and tighten the bar nuts
This probably make the most sense. Cant break if it isn’t there. I dont think that tensioner could push a 36”
.404 bar. It would snap for sure.

Yes, there is something in what you say

Mostly milling with a 41" bar.
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. Probably the bar nuts not tight enough. The nuts sometimes come loose while sawing - does anyone use a lock washer?

> Tighten the bar nuts then back it off a touch?

> I've run saws without the tensioner on it at all, the bar nuts hold the bar in place.

These are good ideas.

> Rakers filed down too far?

Also very likely.

Mostly milling with a 41" bar.
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. Probably the bar nuts not tight enough. The nuts sometimes come loose while sawing - does anyone use a lock washer?

> Tighten the bar nuts then back it off a touch?

> I've run saws without the tensioner on it at all, the bar nuts hold the bar in place.

These are good ideas.

> Rakers filed down too far?

Also very likely.
Don't back off on the nuts

Did the same thing when getting familiar with my 881. User error caused the issue. I was able to silver solder the tensioner back together in addition to picking up a spare new one.

The nuts sometimes come loose while sawing - does anyone use a lock washer?
The nuts should never come loose... need to put a bit more oomph into tightening em. Don't use lock washers, they'll chew through the cover. If you've got a torque wrench use that to do them up to spec & then loosen/ re-tighten with your normal tool... should give you a good idea where it should be at

Latest posts

Back