MS880 for sale/trade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigUglySquirrel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've posted this before but it's final now. In 2004 we got cleaned out. The rotten trolls left us a 338xpt and a VERY worn out 017. We decided to replace the venerable 395xp with the "bigger-so-it-must-be-better" Stihl MS880. (one week wait on the 3120xp that we REALLY wanted) We were all terribly dissapointed right away. We've tried to love it. We've listened to all the advice and tried most of the suggestions and finally have come to the conclusion that this 880 ain't for us. Sorry if that ruffles some tails but that's the official opinion on the matter in this camp. We'd rather have a Husqvarna 395 than this heavy dude. It really is a good running saw....the Husky's just seem to have more torque fellas. Sorry. So after a day of wondering why he didn't wait for the 3120, bossman says see what I can get for the 880. I know you guys are nuts for em so...here ya go. Will trade for a good 3120xp straight out. Would also consider other trades...we love the 395xp, the MS660 sounds like a lovely saw....and of course there is the cash option....or a combination of a larger saw w/a smaller saw (I'm in the market for an 020/200T and the boss LOVES his 338xpt's) Make me an offer and we'll get on from there. I've thrown out some ideas, but we're flexible. PLEASE NO COLLECTOR SAWS OR RACE SAWS. I'm sure you guys are competent builders, but we need running saws that will work everyday for a good long while!! WOODS SAWS OR MILDLY MODDED SAWS WILL BE CONSIDERED, BUT OWNER MUST BE ABLE TO PROVE WHO DID THE WORK AND WHAT WORK WAS DONE. My email is [email protected] or you can call me at 937.654.0889 (cell) 937.743.5761 (home) Cell is the best bet. I go to bed around 10pm EST. I get up around 6am. I have pics but have to figure it out...

-Bought new in October/November of 2004 from authorized Stihl dealer (Edison's Saw Shop in Springboro, OH) with 36" Stihl Rollomatic bar and chain. (.404")

-On the advice of some members we converted to 3/8" chain and a 36" solid nose Duromatic bar. We can't find the .404" sprocket, but both bars and a 3/8" chain go with the saw. The clutch drum was changed in the spring of '05 when the bar was swapped out. (yes we changed the sprocket....I believe its an 11)

-Saw is well serviced (regular cleanings by yours truly) and starts well, has been run on 92 octane/Stihl High Performance 2 stroke mix. We mix all of our gas in small batches (2.5 gallons or less)

-Had an idle issue early on. Edison's serviced the saw. (adjusted carb) Saw idles and runs excellent ever since. Really hasn't seen much work. We tote it around, but no one wants to use the heavy goober. Saw has no mechanical/operational defects.

-SAW IS UNMOLESTED other than spark arrester screen was poked out (more advice from members)

-Saw is a used saw. It's not hurt at all, just normal cosmetic wear. Will attempt to post pics for you guys.

BigUglySquirrel said:
If ya'll are gonna post nude pictures of me on the web, I'd appreciate a heads-up first. :)

"Next on Jerry Springer...SQUIRRELS GONE WILD!!":givebeer:

Drunk squirrels gone wild would be a big hit on springer :cheers:

How much for that big monster?

Brief update:

Pics going not so well. I've got em on the camera, but I'm in some sorta beer induced state of dumb@ss or sumthin. In answer to a query, this saw has had around 20 tanks of fuel through it. Actually probably less than that, but we'll round up to be sure. So, 20 is the number and that number, being 20 is the number that we shall use. Not 18. Not 19. 21 is right out. 20 is it. So. That's sorted. :givebeer:

Gravely Grinch said:
Brother Maynard, who do you work for? Our shop is in Centerville.

I'm assuming that I'm the Brother Maynard, but you'll have to explain that to me. Wonderin' if that's a Tool reference....Anyways....I'm south of ya in Franklin baby! (I know what you're thinking but we've all got all of our teeth...except Mark anyway) The company is Tree-Mend-Us, owner Tim Fitzgerald. Where do you work? I'm familiar with Centerville area. Also as a side note, If anyone in the area is interested in taking a gander at the saw I'd be willing to try to arrange it. I can't be driving 500 miles obviously, but if you're close I'll work with ya.

Later!!

Gentlemen, your attention please.

We've had several offers to purchase the saw outright. In order to sell the saw we'd have to get about $1300 out of it. I'm sorry if that number is high, but if we sell it for cash then we have to use the cash to replace it. 3120's are not common here. I've never seen one. The best price we can find on one is $1345. That's why we wanted the trade. So here's a list of good options:

-3120xp w/32"-36" bar in comparable condition to 880
-$1300 cash (he may come down, pm an offer or call me)
-395xp and 338xpt in good shape (with bars)

Anyone of those would work. Still open to other offers. Will post pics in a few minutes...I think I've got it figured out. Feel free to call. Thanks!

Finally Got Pics!!!

Got pics guys!!! I hope they work. Let me know if you want something more specific. Sorry no pic of the .404" bar. If you need it I'll be happy to oblige. Sorry for the hold-up. Been very busy last few days. If you need anything don't hesitate. thanks!

I wish you all the luck but at $1300 I feel you will be sitting on it for a long time.

Bill

Brother Maynard was the monk that was keeper of the holy hand grenade of Antioch. He did the "and three is the number ye shall count" speech. At any rate, I'm familiar with the Franklin area but I've never heard of your outfit. I'm a tech at Centerville Gravely. I thought about buying one of those monsters but I get saws at dealer cost, considerably less than you need out of that unit.

I know.

Bill G said:
I wish you all the luck but at $1300 I feel you will be sitting on it for a long time.

Bill

I hear ya loud and clear Bill. We're not really looking to sell it out right, we really just want the trade to the 3120xp. It's the only real option we have. I just had so many offers for cash that we sat down and discussed it and that's the only way we could sell it. I'm being upfront about it guys so please don't bust my chops about it. I know that $1300 is way too much and I've said it before. I appreciate you being polite about it though Bill. Thank you. :)

Gravely Grinch said:
Brother Maynard was the monk that was keeper of the holy hand grenade of Antioch. He did the "and three is the number ye shall count" speech. At any rate, I'm familiar with the Franklin area but I've never heard of your outfit. I'm a tech at Centerville Gravely. I thought about buying one of those monsters but I get saws at dealer cost, considerably less than you need out of that unit.

AH! I did not realize that. It makes so much sense now. (I'm glad someone actually got that joke...wasn't sure it would fly here.) Maybe we'll have to sit down for lunch or somethin sometime. Anywho...be cool my brother buckeye!

Gravely Grinch said:

Right, we'll count to five.

Latest posts

Back