mtronik/auto tune.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sand sock

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i looked couldnt see a thread on it . does mtronik/autotune hold up? whats the life expectancy of the system? looking at a 60cc saw. i just went by a dealer and he wants to sell a echo. he doesnt trust his abuility to use a lap top. i picked up a flyer to look through. i need my stuff to hold up , where i can get by changing out most rubber parts my self . i'v e n ot changed out a carb on a saw yet. thats when you have to upload software to the carb to work. is there bootleg software floating around , to the lay person. to fix the tuning my self?

i looked couldnt see a thread on it . does mtronik/autotune hold up? whats the life expectancy of the system? looking at a 60cc saw. i just went by a dealer and he wants to sell a echo. he doesnt trust his abuility to use a lap top. i picked up a flyer to look through. i need my stuff to hold up , where i can get by changing out most rubber parts my self . i'v e n ot changed out a carb on a saw yet. thats when you have to upload software to the carb to work. is there bootleg software floating around , to the lay person. to fix the tuning my self?
I have 4 Mtronics. No issues so far. My dealer is a Mennonite operation and even they have figured out how to use a computer to work on saws. Look for another dealer.

My understanding is that the software (which is minimal) is in the ignition unit. The carb just has fuel mixture controlled by a solenoid, which can be replaced individually. You only need a computer to run diagnostics. The system is simple enough that most problems can be diagnosed without it.

There's no need to fix the tuning. M-tronic does a good job of it. I'm one of those guys who retune carbs at least a couple times a year to deal with temperature changes. My M-tronic saws don't need that, they are always right. They have been 100% reliable.

And yea, find another dealer.

Like any other saw, they're good... until they're not... At that point you are somewhat hamstrung by the dealer. Carb related parts tend to be more expensive & repairs can take longer (especially if said dealer isn't well versed in diagnosing & repairing them).
I believe anyone can buy the Stihl diagnostic's but it isn't cheap & there's no guarantee updates won't become restricted access in the future (negating your investment). Auto-tune is dealer only.
If you like to work on your own stuff go for the traditional carb. The Echo's represent very good value for your money.
If you take your saw to the shop for anything more than daily cleaning anyway then the m-tronic/Auto-tune's are fine saws that will serve you well & generally don't need tuning adjustment. They do have a calibration process so take the time to understand how that works (it's not well documented, especially by Husky).
If you're local dealer isn't confident with the tech side of things I'd be going traditional carb or looking for another dealer

Most are overestimating the value of the diagnostic software. Rarely ever need it.
A completely new program is on the way, anyway.
And calibration only fine tunes the saw.
If it wasn't calibrated, you'd never notice any difference in running behavior.
It would truly "self tune" after a few heavy cuts.
That holds true for Mtronic.
As the injected saw become more prevalent, that might change.

Latest posts

Back