Much modified Didier splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Van

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought this new in '79, about 700.00 then. Cheapest one they had, little solid rubber wheels, non detent valve. The bed was about 12" off the dirt. First change was the wheels, a set of front spindles & wheels from a '74 Chevy Biscayne raised it to about 20" off the ground. Used it that way for years, I could always get the huge ones on with it that low. Back problems forced some major changes, first was raising it to waist height & adding the log lift. The 2 gal. hyd tank had to go too, the old propane tank works fine.
sp1.jpg
Another great work saver is the front table, a few hundred times a day you don't have to bend over.
sp2.jpg
If you leave the log lift up, it makes a good spare table too.
sp4.jpg
The last thing I drempt up came from absolutly hating pushing or pulling the splitter by hand. Sometimes you only want to move 5 or 10 ft, but it's still a chore. I took the front jack leg off, refitted it with a minibike size wheel & tire on pillow block bearings. #40 roller chain from the motor spindle to the sprocket fixed to the wheel. The hyd. motor has it's own valve, you 'steer' the machine with the removable 'tiller arm' it goes along at a good walking speed, or you can sit on the wood catcher for a free ride. I haven't driven it to town yet!
sp3.jpg

Nice!

Now that I know what kind of splitter mine is, I seem to see them more and more.

here is mine.... stock as far as I know, with the exception of the 5hp HC Honda I put on it.

Soon to come is a larger hydro. tank. :chainsaw:

splitter01.jpg

h455r, the tank will hold a good 6 gallons. This I forgot to add - When I added the tank, 3 or 4 years ago, I put hydraulic oil in, it worked fine. Last year & latley, it seemed to not have the snot it used to, especially when it got hot [last Thu & Fri were really hot by noon] Yesterday I changed the oil, went back to 10w 40 motor oil [like the owners book said to] and I'm pretty much back to where it used to be, I split a few knotty ones today, it sheared right through them.

you put 10-40 in the hydro tank? my manual said to use tranny fluid. also how did you rig a fitting in the propane tank for the hydro oil? thats prolly the easiest thing i can think of to use for a tank now. my splitter only holds 3 gallons and if i really work it it gets a little too warm i think.

Last edited:
Thats right, 10w 40 instead of hyd. oil - What the book says - Hey, this splitter will be 30 next year, same pump, ram, etc. with no big $$$$ spent on maint., only mods. Also, it's never had a filter, not even a suction strainer. The propane tank, the valve on top is 3/4 npt, rh thread, with the tank empty, it unscrews with a pipe wrench. The tanks really smell gas for a long time, I used detergent, 409, etc. to wash it out & rinse a few times. The 2 fittings I brazed in after drilling the holes with a holesaw. If you can't find anyone to braze it, bring it over to Kent, I'll do it for you -

propane tanks are pretty common over here for hydraulics. i think they just unscrew the valve and flush it with water and start welding/cutting. my buddy has one, he likes it.

i generally use air tanks for mine.

Back