Muffler bolt torque amount, MS280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle1!

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello, This is my first post. I just had my muffler walkerized and need to know the muffler bolt torque setting for a Stihl MS280. The saw was pretty quiet at first used but seemed a little ratty on the last cut which I assume means I have a leak. thanks and love the site.

BrianZ

It's German torque-"gutentight." :p Just make sure it's tight. Alot of guys will probably cringe at that advice. It's probably somewhere around 8 ft/lbs, which is what, 96 in/lbs. If you've got a Q wrench, dial it up, if not, make it tight, and remember that the cylinder isn't made of stainless steel. You don't want to over tighten anything. Now if you're talking about the cover, and not the cylinder/muffler junction, that'd be significantly less, so you don't bend the metal.

Take care all, and welcome to the site kyle1/BrianZ.
Jeff

Hello,

from the Workshop/Service Manual it says that the muffler/cylinder screws on an MS280 should be torqued to 9 NM, or about 6.6 ft lbs.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I know the bolts wouldn't need more then 10ft/lbs or so. Just want to make sure the extra noise is not a leak vs walkerized muffler. I will dial up the in/lb torque wrench.

BrianZ

Latest posts

Back