Muffler mod on saws with factory dual port mufflers? (046 Mag)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPSRandy046

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a little extra out of my 046 Magnum. A large port muffler was at the top of my list, but I have heard conflicting opinions about this modification on saws that already have factory dual port mufflers. Does it give good enough results to spend the time or money doing it? If anyone has done a mod on a dual port muffler, your input or results (or methods) would be appreciated. I'm not the best welder for delicate jobs like this, so I'd have to find someone to give me a hand if I would use the stainless pipe method. I'm just wondering if its going to be worth the time and effort (or money, if I would just buy a finished one) in comparison to the performance gain I would receive. Thanks to all in advance for your help!
:rockn:

It is real simple, just open up the port in the front cover (under the screen a little more) Rejet the carb as required. the gains won't be anything like going from a fully restricted muffler to a dual port cover, but there is still some gains to be had.

Just don't go too wild or the low end idle and starting issues will be more of a problem than any small gain at top end.

you can open up a factory single port more then what the dual ports are. i think the dual port stihls are cheasy looking. what i would do is open the single side port up as much as the sparkscreen boddy will allow. you end up with a port about 1x1.5" the square sparkscreen port is about 1.5x1.5

you can open up a factory single port more then what the dual ports are. i think the dual port stihls are cheasy looking. what i would do is open the single side port up as much as the sparkscreen boddy will allow. you end up with a port about 1x1.5" the square sparkscreen port is about 1.5x1.5

LOL!!!

Didn't you just make a dual port?????

:popcorn:

not on the cover

stihl dual ports are fugly.

but the dualport is super easy to do and gets the saw breathing better. the only tools needed are cash and t-27

not on the cover

but the dualport is super easy to do and gets the saw breathing better. the only tools needed are cash and t-27

Fugly is as fugly does...:cheers:

I see the factory covers as precision engineered performance solutions that can add significant performance in three minutes.

Your mileage may vary...

attachment.php

attachment.php

:jawdrop::cry: I'm hurt:buttkick:

I like the look myself!!!!!

Remember this???? "064 has kinda a sexy muffler if there ever was such a thing"

Sorry man had to get in on this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

southbound
i like your muffler alot it is sexy what im saying is i dont like the factory secondary port in cover . but yes they are easy bolt on for more power.

my 066 had the dual port cover on it when i bought. i replaced it with standerd cover
GEDC1896.jpg

then made my own dual port and opend the factory port to the max. saw is also ported
GEDC1928.jpg

GEDC1820.jpg

046 factory port can be opend up like this.
this saw will make your ears bleed. but man shes run very well and has no idleing issues

i disliked the dualport factory cover so much i thought about makeing a diamond plate cover. only thought about it.

heres the secondary port on my 440
GEDC1987.jpg

GEDC1991.jpg

southbounds dual port 064. you cant tell me the factory dualport mufflers look better then this(im sure pecker head will though)
GEDC2044.jpg

GEDC2046.jpg

Last edited:
thank you, keep your fingers crossed that yours bolts on.

UPSRandy046

im getn alittle carried away im sorry. you can easily gain alittle right through factory port with a few drill bits. a 1/8" for a pilot hole then either a 1/2 or 3/8" to finish it off.
GEDC1629.jpg

i would add one hole then runn the saw and see what you think. then if you want more add the second. pull the sparkscreen out so it doesnt get damaged by the drill bits

adding a tube or xstended deflector isnt necessary

southbound
i like your muffler alot it is sexy what im saying is i dont like the factory secondary port in cover . but yes they are easy bolt on for more power.

my 066 had the dual port cover on it when i bought. i replaced it with standerd cover

then made my own dual port and opend the factory port to the max. saw is also ported

046 factory port can be opend up like this.
this saw will make your ears bleed. but man shes run very well and has no idleing issues

i disliked the dualport factory cover so much i thought about makeing a diamond plate cover. only thought about it.

heres the secondary port on my 440

southbounds dual port 064. you cant tell me the factory dualport mufflers look better then this(im sure pecker head will though)

Your work looks great, and you make a very sanitary looking dual-port muffler.

never modified anything, but I have an 026 pro that runs like crap and want to boost it. Can I modify the muffler on it. Also, it currently has the crappy carb with only the low adjustment on it, but Stihl told me today I can get a new carb for it with high and low adjust. Is the $60 worth the new carb just to get the high end adjust or can I get a bigger carb or something that would fit a larger saw on it?

never modified anything, but I have an 026 pro that runs like crap and want to boost it. Can I modify the muffler on it. Also, it currently has the crappy carb with only the low adjustment on it, but Stihl told me today I can get a new carb for it with high and low adjust. Is the $60 worth the new carb just to get the high end adjust or can I get a bigger carb or something that would fit a larger saw on it?

Lots of info here..

DIY Muffler Mod

From what little I know a muffler mod can help almost all saws..But you will need the H screw so It looks like you need a new carb.. The pro's will come along with all the details..........

O welcome to the club......

Look on ebay, I have bought several 026 carbs with hi and lo jets for around 25 bucks.

Latest posts

Back