Muffler mod.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will, you're using way too much rod. push the puddle with your heat and don't add so much filler. If you have tight seams you should be able to tig with no filler rod (not that you need or want to for this though). Another trick, assuming you are running shielding gas is to put a T in your gas line and pump the inside of the muffler full of Argon too.

Thanks man, I could use all the tips I can, I'm so used to mig welding. About how far should the tip be from the weld?

Thanks man, I could use all the tips I can, I'm so used to mig welding. About how far should the tip be from the weld?

the right amount :)

just play with it till you get it. You want to push your puddle with a dabbing motion. Add fill rod every few "dabs" as needed then push the new material you have added. Its hard to think about if you are used to wire feed where the rod is the heat as well.

keep at it, you'll get good at it. Also, to be fair; welding a circle is one of the hardest things to do. Looks easy but it ain't

the right amount :)

just play with it till you get it. You want to push your puddle with a dabbing motion. Add fill rod every few "dabs" as needed then push the new material you have added. Its hard to think about if you are used to wire feed where the rod is the heat as well.

keep at it, you'll get good at it. Also, to be fair; welding a circle is one of the hardest things to do. Looks easy but it ain't

Thanks, yes I know it wasn't the easiest task to start with, trying to weld in a tight corner and being a circle. I know what you mean though, I've done gas welding before and got good at it, then we got a mig at work, and I've never gas welded again. I'm going to get some scrap and burn up some rods!

You did good with the weld for being green with a tig.

As zombie said that is not an easy part to learn on. Try running some beads on some scraps.

As for how far to hold the tip I seem to recall it is about three times tip diameter. The problem with that is it varies on the part and the metal and the finish you want. I've welded mag where I had the tip all but buried to get the weld I wanted. Practice is the only way to learn that kind of thing. You'll get to where you do a lot of it by feel.

Again, good work on that weld, far better than my first few tries.:cheers:

Mr. HE:cool:

Thanks, yes I know it wasn't the easiest task to start with, trying to weld in a tight corner and being a circle. I know what you mean though, I've done gas welding before and got good at it, then we got a mig at work, and I've never gas welded again. I'm going to get some scrap and burn up some rods!

I learned on oxy-acy in radiator shops. I got really good at gas welding and brazing and its still how I think so for me Tig is no problem. But I suck suck suck at plain old arc welding and that's the only welder I own now!

You did good with the weld for being green with a tig.

As zombie said that is not an easy part to learn on. Try running some beads on some scraps.

As for how far to hold the tip I seem to recall it is about three times tip diameter. The problem with that is it varies on the part and the metal and the finish you want. I've welded mag where I had the tip all but buried to get the weld I wanted. Practice is the only way to learn that kind of thing. You'll get to where you do a lot of it by feel.

Again, good work on that weld, far better than my first few tries.:cheers:

Mr. HE:cool:

I learned on oxy-acy in radiator shops. I got really good at gas welding and brazing and its still how I think so for me Tig is no problem. But I suck suck suck at plain old arc welding and that's the only welder I own now!

Good work! That's done up like my 372 exhaust, I like the two pipe look lol.:cheers:

Thanks guys, but your being too kind. It doesn't look that great, but at least its not horrible, ha ha ha. I know there is a learning curve and I can't just pick up a Tig and be good right out of the gate. I'll keep trying.

Thanks guys, but your being too kind. It doesn't look that great, but at least its not horrible, ha ha ha. I know there is a learning curve and I can't just pick up a Tig and be good right out of the gate. I'll keep trying.

Looks better than my first few tries with a tig:) I shocked the :dizzy: by touching the rod to the metal...

Um yep it's not mig is it lol:)

Like the dual pipes and that's a big enough saw to make it breath LOUD!:clap::clap::clap:

Bill

Looking good! That is going to be rather loud. Hope the guy hasn't got too many neighbours.

On welding, I'm a MIG guy, done it for years and I find it pretty easy. TIG is like flying a damn helicopter - arms, feet, and if you get it wrong for an instant, it goes bad. You did good for a first try, but I found laying weld on a flat sheet hard enough...

Some good advice here. I'm tempted to try TIG again, this bloke makes it seem so easy...

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Parris, Seriously, That's REEAALLLY Good for your first time tig welding! Way better than mine I know that for sure, cuz I blew so many holes I had to finish/fix it with a mig! :)

The beauty of TIG is, as long as you get good penetration on your initial pass, which I'd say you did, is, it does NOT matter what the weld looks like, because you can simply go over the weld again (with no filler rod of course) with the tig torch and then really flow it in there and make it look like the proverbial stack of dimes.
I still have to do that now sometimes, especially when welding at weird angles and what not.

Keep it up, You'll be a pro in no time!

Murf

Good work Will. Should sound mean. Is this going on a ported saw? Will you be able to test it in some big wood?

Yes it's going on the last 395, but sadly it might be sent away to the new owner before I get to test in big wood.

Looking good! That is going to be rather loud. Hope the guy hasn't got too many neighbours.

On welding, I'm a MIG guy, done it for years and I find it pretty easy. TIG is like flying a damn helicopter - arms, feet, and if you get it wrong for an instant, it goes bad. You did good for a first try, but I found laying weld on a flat sheet hard enough...

Some good advice here. I'm tempted to try TIG again, this bloke makes it seem so easy...

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Thanks, I'll check out that site.

Parris, Seriously, That's REEAALLLY Good for your first time tig welding! Way better than mine I know that for sure, cuz I blew so many holes I had to finish/fix it with a mig! :)

The beauty of TIG is, as long as you get good penetration on your initial pass, which I'd say you did, is, it does NOT matter what the weld looks like, because you can simply go over the weld again (with no filler rod of course) with the tig torch and then really flow it in there and make it look like the proverbial stack of dimes.
I still have to do that now sometimes, especially when welding at weird angles and what not.

Keep it up, You'll be a pro in no time!

Murf

Thanks man!!

Hey Will that looks good to me! That suckers gunna growl.

On my 394 I cut the stock deflector off and then gutted the thing. It was a real pita gettin that pipe out of there, but I hollowed it out and arc welded the deflector back on. After the paint you can hardly tell (from a distance, ha. ha.) and man does it bark!

And yes I arc welded the mo-fo. WWII style. It was a beeatch, but thats what I got to work with. The trick is to move fast.

Can't wait for the vid man!

Back