Muffler Modd And Screen Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least make it big enough and no screen:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

I could fit a potatoe in that hole:hmm3grin2orange:

I made the hole in my husky 350 as big as possible under the screen footprint. This worked out to about the size of the exhaust port. I need to keep the screen as I cut on federal lands and a spark arrestor is required. This saw only has a factory exhaust hole the size of a pencil so the difference is huge. Deflector had to be cut of to access the area under the screen to cut the exhaust port sized hole in the muffler top. Then the deflector opening was not big enough so i tig welded up a new deflector with and opening the size of the port. My buddys call it the big mouth saw. It screams now with a cool sounding exhaust note. No fancy math here, just figured out the square area and used it as a guideline. Much faster in hard pinion pine stumps of about 20". The saw spools up almost violent, its amazing, I do not think you will be far off from optimum with your plan as it worked well for me. :msp_thumbup:

Pics or it didn't happen.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::laugh:

Here is some photos of my lastest muff mod. this is for the pair of husky 61's im building up. One is to be stock early 61, the other that I finished today is a 61/272 top end. Old bicycle handlebars that found out dumped in the desert is what I used for the pipe. Did the flare on the pipe with a ball peen hammer just 'cus I thought it would look cool. Wish I could describe more what it sounds like, but my carb is not getting fuel so I only had it running intermittently. Looks like I have a carb rebuild in my near futureView attachment 228824View attachment 228825View attachment 228826View attachment 228827

hey i could be wrong but i think you will be losing power because the hole is to big , noise don't necessarily mean more grunt :msp_unsure:

On chainsaws, I always think that a little backpressure is a good thing.

But then I remember back in the early 1970's snowmobiles, the really hot ones cam from the factory with 1& 1/2 in flex tubes for each cylinder and no mufflers. The exhaust ports had much less area than those straight pipes, and those engines revved out with lots of power, and yes,,,,lots of noise! Those flex tubes were just routed out the frame of the snowmobile in front of the track. Didn't seem to affect the life of the motor.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back