Muffler Mods?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 5105 took 2 hours labor and 37.00 in solder.....
9c3afc39ba76ee7612946d684054fcfc.jpg
0d2048e8e057895f3d93f63dfe61bf5e.jpg
5c3f2b72e00dd4c3c00314181de50cc9.jpg

Yup. Some of these MM aren't a 5 min job.
Come up with a concept, find the materials, glue them together with silver solder or weld then blast bake and paint. But always worth it in the end [emoji16][emoji106] top job!!

Are most of you guys brazing or tig welding or soldering on these muffler mods? Any pics of what you use? Thats just as important, is the tools you use. Im always looking for ideas.

I use 45% silver solder because a lot of factory mufflers are furnace brazed. I don't own a tig welder and I refuse to use a wire welder on a tissue paper thin chainsaw muffler. Silver solder is relative easy to use once you are familiar with it and properly prep your metals. Silver solder also allows the joining of 2 different metals. (Notice above the copper elbow on the steel deflector) Another reason is there is no spatter inside the muffler with solder like you have when you blow thru with wire. DO NOT BE IN A HURRY WITH SILVER SOLDER.............. And a bead blast cabinet is almost a must!

I use 45% silver solder because a lot of factory mufflers are furnace brazed. I don't own a tig welder and I refuse to use a wire welder on a tissue paper thin chainsaw muffler. Silver solder is relative easy to use once you are familiar with it and properly prep your metals. Silver solder also allows the joining of 2 different metals. (Notice above the copper elbow on the steel deflector) Another reason is there is no spatter inside the muffler with solder like you have when you blow thru with wire. DO NOT BE IN A HURRY WITH SILVER SOLDER.............. And a bead blast cabinet is almost a must!

Thanks for the info, you have me intrigued to try this. I have never thought about using a solder. I wasnt sure if they would get hot enough to join the two metals.

I have a handful of harris stay silv 15% that i've been using for several years now.done a deflector on a 359 cat muffler a while back and it done real nice.even soldered a pair of my glasses back together back in high school so I wouldn't have to do the electrical tape thing.:laugh: That stuff stuck for ages.

Just saw the torch picture. Would a solder gun get warm enough?

Thats seriously some of the cleanest work ive seen.

Silver melts at 1100°-1200° so a solder iron won't even come close.

Thank you for the complement! I take pride in my work, after all what good is it to not produce quality work, especially for a customer!

I have access to acetylene at work so i will try this.

Mapp gas also works.I would rather do a Brazing setup like Homelite but unless you have a Full Fledged Welding business the Oxy Acetylene suppliers make it so hard to get a setup.

The quality of your work is unsurpassed. I was in a phone conversation with another member and he was going on about the quality of your chain vises. I like how you lay down a nice fillet bead around the portions of metal being joined. It is also allowing to do designs and shapes I can't weld with TIG technique.

Mapp gas also works.I would rather do a Brazing setup like Homelite but unless you have a Full Fledged Welding business the Oxy Acetylene suppliers make it so hard to get a setup.

Oxy isn't needed. Just a small acetylene tank and a torch.
EDIT: A regulator is also needed.

Oxy isn't needed. Just a small acetylene tank and a torch.
EDIT: A regulator is also needed.
True but it's easier to get Oxygen than Acteylene for me anyway.Have tanks on the farm but the Gas companys buy each other out and won't deal with tanks from another company.if they do they charge an arm and leg for inspections.Later I may check with Tractor Supply and see what the rates are if I buy my own tanks.I would really like to get back into Metal working again later.

Brazin' rod is at a premium right now. We get $9 bucks for 45% and $26 for 57% per stick. Harris brand fluxed.
I hear you there! I use .062 wire 45% and Harris sta-silv flux. I don't bother with flux covered rod myself. Clean, clean, clean, is the secret, and when I do a customers muffler, I treat it as a piece of art, and that right there makes me focus on fit and finish the most.

Did I mention clean metal = a quality,
good looking joint? I can't emphasize that enough!!!

Back