Muffodication ms460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now send it to Tree Monkey and get it ported after all he is kind of your neighbor.

I ran my 460 today for the first time since being ported. I will never look at a stock saw the same ever again. I needs to get my 660 to him this winter. I am currently using it otherwise it would be on its way to him.

Money well spent:msp_thumbup:

I am going to run it like it is then when it comes time for a rebuild it will get ported

I am going to run it like it is then when it comes time for a rebuild it will get ported

You'll never wear it out most likely. Only thing that will make you rebuild it is if you straight gas it and we all hope that never happens.

Glad you got it, buddy. :)

Definitely get it ported. But run several tanks through it with the bar buried in hardwood before you send it off. Partly to break it in, partly so when it comes back ported you'll have a benchmark for your HOLY #### moment! :D :D

You may think a MM'd 460 is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. You won't know true joy until an expert removes some material from the cylinder, polishes what remains, and advances the timing. Trust me on this one. The ported 460 is one rocking thing.

Last edited:
I have run a bone stock never been adjusted since it left the dealer saw and liked it so i am curious to see what the muff mod does for it. I have a few big trees that this saw has to take care of first then if i think it will get a little shelf time i will look in to getting it ported. I have owned 2 strokes for the last 19 yrs and have never blown one up until last week, my ryobi weed wacker finally had enough it was not due to gas. I have used for the past 2 yrs around my in laws pond wide open for a little over an hour every week

Personally, muffler mods have never impressed me much.....especially considering how they are all hyped up by members on this site. Its not going to blow your socks off......

Tony

Personally, muffler mods have never impressed me much.....especially considering how they are all hyped up by members on this site. Its not going to blow your socks off......

Tony

I am not expecting a lot but something would be nice. I did it mostly in the hope it will run cooler there fore last longer. Plus its cool

I am not expecting a lot but something would be nice. I did it mostly in the hope it will run cooler there fore last longer. Plus its cool

You are not in a position to notice the difference a muff mod makes, because you haven't broken in and run the stock saw extensively, thus establishing a baseline of performance before doing the muff mod.

Be that as it may, you can trust that the MM will increase performance by a relatively small but still noticeable amount. I do agree with Tony that we've seen too many people doing muff mods and making the resulting performance molehills into mountains, but any Stihl with an MS in front of the number will deliver real gains from a muff mod. Not like what you see with porting in conjunction with the MM, of course.

Last edited:

Tony

you must not have run to many saws before and after a mm,, it does make a pretty big difference

After now owning a ported saw I would agree that MM is not as big of a differnce as a ported saw for sure.

MM does help and certainly lets the saw run cooler which for no other purpose is a big help. But not a big difference in power some but not a lot like ported does:msp_w00t:

I did not do the mod to gain performance as much as i did it so it would run a little cooler.

the 460 has to sit another day and wait to eat some wood. windy and rain with some sleet, she is looking at me in desperation while i drink my coffee by the fire in the shop

Couple questions to the OP and other 046/460 owners. I just got 2x 046's in the shop and rebuilding both. I was just wondering if adding a second port would give any gain over opening the stock slot. I plan to open the diverters inside the muffler and extend the exterior baffel forward to protect the handle. And of course I'll open the OEM exhaust port in the muffler. I do need to know if one large opening would be just as good as two medium size openings? Neither saw is ported, one has stock P&C and one has a nikasil BBK on it.

Comments?

Latest posts

Back