Mulberry in a woodstove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I usually stick with oak and hickory in my stove. A tree guy I help out told me I can haul away couple pickup's full of Mulberry. Is this good hardwood to burn for heat
stuff167.jpg

i wouldn't know about mulberry, other than it saps alot - sticky stuff, too...
but that saw is gettin' babied by the stove :hmm3grin2orange:

nice pic, by the way

I think once mulberry is dryed good it burns as good as oak. only alot of brush to deal with...

Yeah, usually there is a lot of brush. However it is excellent firewood. Mulberry can grow to a very large size if in the right growing conditions. It is one of my favorite fuel woods. It is close to Osage orange and Oak in the BTU chart.

There is nothing above to disagree about or add to by me , except that it does throw sparks when fresh air hits the coals.

Mulberry, it's a keeper, take what you can get, let it dry in the stack and enjoy the heat next winter in your stove.

Mulberry like oak can take a while to season but it heats well and starts easy. It can be a bit stringy to split, not near as bad as elm, but it doesn't split as easy as frozen oak.

Good score.

Don

except that it does throw sparks when fresh air hits the coals.

That is the truth. It matters little in a stove or furnace and is kind of nice in a fireplace but I got a little story.

I sold a reg client a mostly mulberry load about 5 years ago and like you said I told him it was great wood but will spark a little and I think that adds a nice atmosphere. The same night I was going up my hill that runs past his house and there were firetrucks and police cars all around the house which was half involved in flames and the road was blocked.

Well my pulse stopped and face probably turned white. Began thinking about nobody being hurt and then my insurance coverage. Despite phone calls that night I could not find out until the next morning that a contractor had left a soldering gun on the job and it had lit a carpet on fire and spread or something like that.

Mulberry may not be the best for an open fire.

Latest posts

Back