Multitasking. Antlers + Stumps +Uglies = ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 'magine he's taxiderming guys. Hey if you are making the antler boner potion, tell us how it goes. I wouldn't mind bulking up like Roger Clemens.

Yeah, I figured that too, but it makes for boring stories...

My BIL did one himself a few years ago, he paid to have his last two done by a local guy. He has some sort of beetles that do the finish up defleshing.

Nice racks!! Can you get a pic of them once they are out of the pot?

I bury mine in the dirt up to the bases then cover with a large tub. All the creepy crawlies take care. Easy peasy. .remove next season! )

Ive heard this is the best way, you can even buy the bugs the pros use to help things along, in a tote with dirt or whatever. At least thats what field and stream said.

I buried one in the ground along with a dead critter to aid in the maggots and it worked really good, just wasn't very white. Next time, if I get the time, I'll try the pressure washing method, possibly after I boil it. Cool pictures!

I have heard of the bury up to the bases method. I was afraid mice would start to eat up the antlers though. I could try it on the small island on the pond I guess. Only bugs and birds there.

I posted these pictures on my Facebook as well and the city folks comments are funny.

I have heard of the bury up to the bases method. I was afraid mice would start to eat up the antlers though. I could try it on the small island on the pond I guess. Only bugs and birds there.

I posted these pictures on my Facebook as well and the city folks comments are funny.
Lol! I've come to find out if I want any constructive criticism, the "Facebook City Folk" are definitely a hoot! )

I buried one in the ground along with a dead critter to aid in the maggots and it worked really good, just wasn't very white. Next time, if I get the time, I'll try the pressure washing method, possibly after I boil it. Cool pictures!
After they are completely defleshed, they bleach them. Basically the same stuff they use to bleach hair. My understanding is that the bleaching step is easier than the cleaning step.

I bury mine in the dirt up to the bases then cover with a large tub. All the creepy crawlies take care. Easy peasy. .remove next season! )
my neighbor boy has big chicken houses and a pile of chicken litter and he buried his rack up to the bases in it and they came out clean and white.

After they are completely defleshed, they bleach them. Basically the same stuff they use to bleach hair. My understanding is that the bleaching step is easier than the cleaning step.

Always thought there was a way to bleach them just never looked into it. I'm the kind of guy that nails them up to his garage, unless it's big enough or has a ton of character. Would that chicken litter be somewhat like a compost pile at a hog farm? That's a good way as well.

Try having one done with beetles the next time if you know anyone who keeps them. The difference is night and day. Beetles leave all of the little intricate details inside the nose and sinus cavities that boiling and washing destroys. Of course when you do it yourself, you can't beat the cost of boiling. My first deer I ever shot with a bow was done with beetles.

Lol! I've come to find out if I want any constructive criticism, the "Facebook City Folk" are definitely a hoot! )
My favorites are the ones who have no idea that whitetails shed their antlers every year, and then throw a fit about you "stealing" their antlers. Like you set a trap, and then just cut them off their heads. Ugh!! o_O

Back