Muriatic acid treatment on cyl video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So where can you get the Muriatic acid?

Muratic acid is everywhere. A lot of people call it bricklayers acid, they use it for cleaning bricks . Any hardware store should have it , or home depot, somewhere like that. Truckers use it for polishing aluminum fuel tanks etc, also.

Muriatic acid is a common name for hydrochloric acid. And the above posters are correct; any decent hardware store will carry a supply, as would any plumbing supply house.

Brad is correct on small pinholes. I had the three jugs of my '00 Polaris xcr-800 re-nic'ed by Millenium Technologies, and when I received them I saw what I thought were pinholes, only to find out they are tiny pits, imperfections that are common in plated cylinders, but they do not hurt performance or reliability at all. Millenium even sent me hardcopy of their warranty which includes the terminology so I am still covered. Unfortunately they cannot do "blind-hole" jugs, which means they cannot do saw jugs. I am sure someone should be able to do them though.

On the aforementioned 028 jug, I'd get it off the shelf and give life to that saw and not worry at all.

Husqvarna 65 Cylinder

There is a very small amount of aluminum deposited on this cylinder, you can see it in the photo. How long should it take to etch this off? Is it really obvious when your done?

attachment.php

Great post:clap:
I use one one of them electric fryers to heat them up,can't remember the name of it:dizzy:
:cheers:

a little off topic i don't know about you guy's but my wife would KILL ME if i was taking apart a saw in the kitchen

I must have a better one than most.. she always asks " are those saw parts clean or dirty ? " before she takes them out of the dishwasher..
also sometimes brings in TV trays for food prep because the island counter has a saw on it :)

ckelp i'd rather blow up, burn down and or fill my shop with toxic gases instead of my house.
i think it's just me?

I would rather " none of the above "
learn how to "work safe" ..

Is the chrome that much more resistant to the acid? Is there a fine line between just enough to remove the aluminum, not too much to eat the chrome?

Aluminum combines readily where chrome is fairly inert. The hardness of the two is on opposite spectrums also so light abrasion will take off aluminum but not chrome.

100% lye may work a little better without the heat and fumes -- it's a strong base.

Is the chrome that much more resistant to the acid? Is there a fine line between just enough to remove the aluminum, not too much to eat the chrome?

The coating on the cylinder is tough...the aluminum...not so tough. You can tell when it's good, it does leave dark spots where it was though. I use a little 320 grit between acid drops...oh wait I don't drop acid no more.

How's it going Ron? My wife and your's must both be cut from the same cloth. As long as I clean up my own messes, I don't hear no fussing. I have been known to work on the kitchen table...and stuff. :cheers:

If there are bare aluminium parts, small chips or breaks in the plating that need to be protected they can be coated with wax to seal them off. That would however not work if the jug was going to be heated.

thanks for that vid ! it's worth more than a million words.:clap:

I haven't tried to heat the cylinder first. Temperature generally will speed up a chemical reaction, so it may be a good idea to try. But muriatic acid is dangerous stuff, so don't want to overdo it ...

Latest posts

Back