Murphy's Law anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hickslawns

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Happened to me today. Beautiful day and as my wife was taking the kids inside for dinner I told her I wanted to head to the woods for a quick mission. I killed a pretty decent buck last November while he was rubbing his antlers on a tree. (You can search "Hickslawns" videos on youtube to watch my not so good bow mounted camera footage of the action). I got my mount back from the taxidermist last week and wanted to build a shelf to mount the tree he was rubbing on into my deer mount display. I fired up the four wheeler. I topped off the gas and oil for my chainsaw. Fired it up to make sure it would start since I hadn't used it in awhile. No problem. Loaded it on the quad and took a drive. Found my tree to cut down. Got off the quad and proceeded to start my chainsaw. First pull it sputtered (as anticipated). I was ready to take the choke off to get it running on the second pull as usual but Murphy's Law had already struck. Yep, chainsaw in one hand (not running) and rope in the other! Dang! Oh well, beautiful day to go to the woods. Nice to remember how the hunt went down. Guess I will cut that tree another day. hahah

I am sure there are at least a couple of deer hunters on here so I will add one of the deer for you as well.

Last edited:
usually for me its more like this, i go to the woods to hunt, while walking in jump some doe's, oh well i will get set then see if they come back. set there all day see nothing close enough, get up and head out and out of the corner of my eye spot the buck laying in the sun just inside the woods, just laying there watching me, draw an arrow out get the knock set draw back site and release. bammm up he jumps and takes off, snorting all the way.. i am stoked up thinking perfect kill shot, right? not! arrow split a sapling right in front of him dead center of sapling and stopped with out hitting him at all!
good news though i killed the heck out of that sapling...
true story.

TMFarm- I am laughing with you buddy. It happens. It takes lots and lots of hours on multiple parcels (which are capable of holding big bucks because not all areas produce AND hold them) in order to kill one. Definitely a chess match.

I just figured some of you guys have had the Murphy's Law type luck with your chainsaws/equipment before. I never thought about how many times Murphy's Law comes into play when hunting. How about when you sit 20-30yds inside the woods watching a field all morning and decide to walk out? Murphy's Law kicks in and half a dozen deer are feeding in another field which is separating the woods and your truck?

anything under two hundred yards i would shoot...but i used to shoot tournaments.
what about the day you get up the tree stand in ind. and it is first day of squirrel season, turns daylight and some hunter blasts the bottom of your stand cause he seen your boots. talk about p.o'd, thats the fastest i saw some one run...i told him he had three seconds before i returned fire..

I usually aim for the heart and lungs when I hunt them...I guess I never thought of shooting them in the antlers...:msp_wink:

179548d1302481780-dscn1844-arrow-thru-antler-pic-jpg

gives them more of a fighting chance that way!
literally scares them to death...:yoyo:

Reminds me of my first hunt after retiring from AF. Brother invited me and was guide. Early start before daylight, said we'll go out on this ridge to the end and wait for daylight. Couldn't see anything not lit up by the lights. He said stop here, we did and a whole herd jumped up and disappeared. Hunted the rest of the day and got one spike.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back