My 038 Foolium Adventure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So "bar studs threads will give way..."

WTF! Is it the studs/steel or the Chi-Com chinesium case?

I can't see even Chi-Com steel stripped studs, before the piss-poor case gave up threads./broke.........

Case, or studs?

I'm glad I've got LOTS of OEM parts saws...............

Case is actually magnesium, at least not aluminum. It's the bar studs made in a too soft alloy. Chain tensioner?

Case is actually magnesium, at least not aluminum. It's the bar studs made in a too soft alloy. Chain tensioner?

Steel bar studs hold up, cases get stripped/go to mush.

First step on smaller Stihls is to retap case and , if I remember 056 bar stud w/bigger threads. That fixes it.

So is this, a Chinesium case?

We used to take bad magnesium cases and burn them, it's bright site. Good for stating a brush pile, they even burn when you throw them in the water........

Then why do Stihl OEM studs work better as claimed previously? It sounds like it's an issue with the "outside" threads on the Chinese ones - where the nuts go. Have you built Chinese clones (none listed in your .sig)? If not, I'm going with the guy who has. Of course, you mentioned stud problems on "smaller Stihls." Are they made from "Chinesium", too?

Last year spring time I guess.

- The oil pump might be ok or not, you will find out obviously.
If you get massive amounts of oil in to the clutch compartment thats because of the hole in the center of the plastic gear going down to the axle in the oil pump.
You can cover that hole using a rubber gasket sheet cut to a suitable patch and glue it on with CA glue (super glue) after cleaning and perhaps some sanding to roughen the surface of the plastic gear as well as the rubber.
- You will know this by a lot of oil seeping out and make a puddle on your bench/shelf after use.
It has a purpose: to lube the gears and (perhaps most importantly) make sure they don't melt from the heat of the clutch.
However, I milled the beech wood on my avatar with one of these with the axle hole covered and completely without any intentional oil leak and it didn't melt. Also it was completely dry and oil free after use.
- If the oil tank is nearly full (like 80-90% full) after running a tank of gas then you should consider the oil pump is not working properly.

- The clutch springs will snap after a couple of hours, use OEM clutch springs to avoid this problem.
You will know this by that the chain will no longer stop at idle.

- The bar stud threads will give away if you tighten the nuts too much, use OEM bar studs and nuts to avoid this problem.

- The clutch compartment cover might be needed to be milled off if you want the guide bar to sit solidly to the mount surface, have a look at my post about that it's really simple to do.
You need a mill bit (I used a 6mm diameter aluminum mill bit) and a bench drill or similar that can set the mill bit/drill in a certain height position above a work surface, or use your imagination to get it done.
If you take too much off or it don't look nice it don't matter, just as long as the cover does not protrude outside the bar mount seat.

It's a grunty saw, once you have sorted out the child problems you will love it!

ill have to use my belt sander to knock down the case in this instance. i dont have a mill/bench drill to perform this work. Thanks for the heads up. ill proabably order these parts ahead of time and substitute them on the build. (ill have to evaluate the oiler and see if the one supplied is as bad as shown in your pictures above

Then why do Stihl OEM studs work better as claimed previously? It sounds like it's an issue with the "outside" threads on the Chinese ones - where the nuts go. Have you built Chinese clones (none listed in your .sig)? If not, I'm going with the guy who has. Of course, you mentioned stud problems on "smaller Stihls." Are they made from "Chinesium", too?
No, problem with smaller Stihls if a Gorilla doesn't snug down the bar nuts, or drop a tree on it.

I've seen enough Chi-Com parts that I'd never consider a whole saw. Cheap material, that is then poorly made/manufactured

I don't even like using their parts: saws, cars/trucks, tractors, tools, .............

P.S. when this virus thing is over, I'll be sending them enough empty cans to make a brand new Hutzl!!!

First step on smaller Stihls is to retap case and , if I remember 056 bar stud w/bigger threads. That fixes it.

So is this, a Chinesium case?

We used to take bad magnesium cases and burn them, it's bright site. Good for stating a brush pile, they even burn when you throw them in the water........

I have never pulled hard enough to strip the threads in the case, that's a lot of threads going quite deep.

That guy has unlimited supply of Sthil 038 parts, why would he build a clone...

ill have to use my belt sander to knock down the case in this instance. i dont have a mill/bench drill to perform this work. Thanks for the heads up. ill proabably order these parts ahead of time and substitute them on the build. (ill have to evaluate the oiler and see if the one supplied is as bad as shown in your pictures above

Those are the nice ones, you haven't seen the bad ones yet. But it might work, the chineese parts are different from batch to batch. Sometimes they improve, sometimes they don't.

And I almost forgot, how it looks in action;
Chain not sharpened from last year, thats how it goes when you sharpen everybody elses chains - your own gets neglected...

so you and buttercup are the same person.....
We all are, I payed my support this year though so I guess I'll stick around like this till next year at least.
It's just so tempting to start all fresh and new when you post as much foolish and stupid posts as I am.
All the people you insult though you didn't intend to, all the stuff that comes back to you the next morning after those two bottles of fermented grape juice... eventually you just have to let it all go.

Latest posts

Back