My 044 was stolen this weekend!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
I was down at my buddies farm helping him take down some trees and getting myself more firewood. We used our trucks throughout the property to carry the saws to the trees to be dropped and then used a 40HP New Holland 4wd tractor to drag the logs to the landing site to be loaded on my truck and trailer.

I took my buddies truck to the gas station to grab some beverages (non alcoholic) and went to wendy's for a couple burgers. When we were done with lunch, I drove back to the spot we were cutting and my 044 was gone from the back of the truckbed.......

I just got the damn thing put back together after tearing it down to replace the case-half gasket. I bought it non running. This was the first chance I had to cut with it and was quite impressed for a beatup old 044. I fookin hate thieves.

I'll post up some pics of the woodlot tomorrow. I'm so pissed about the hole ordeal. I was away from the truck for about 10 minutes total. Bastids.

Anyone have a decent 044 for sale that they don't want like new price for?

That is all, moral of the story it to keep your **** under lock and key, cause if it aint bolted down people will make off with it.

-Steve

Sorry to hear that Steve. You know the one thing I have learned about this site is it does not matter what country your in or state etc.... Thives are thives it happens all over in our industry every thing is easily stolen, normally its high value and they get dispose of very quickly. I always say you got to handcuff it to you but then they would probebly chop your hand off to nik it. :chainsaw:

Bummer.

I carry a few 4' - 6' lengths of heavy duty chain, each draped over the lumber rack and secured with a padlock. If I've got anything in the bed of the truck (or on the rack, such as ladders), ....compressor, saws, chainsaws, whatever...and I need to step away from the truck, I loop the chain thru the item(s) and padlock them to the rack. While it may not stop someone determined (and armed with a big pair of bolt cutters) for more than a few seconds, it most definitely seems to put the whammy on the much more common sneak thief and/or crankster.

The hard part is making myself take the time to lock the item(s) up.

Another one stolen. I've heard many stolen saw stories recently. Good Lord man, I'm sorry to hear that, but thanks for venting and reminding us that it does happen. We all like to think we live in a nice world, but we don't. It's stories like your's that make me carry my saws in my cab even though I have canopies on each of my trucks, and lock it even to go in and pay for gas and not even leave my saws in my trucks over night. (And I live well off the beaten path.)

I'm sorry to hear about your saws, but it should do all of us here well to read and heed.

Sorry man.

Jeff

GRRRRRR! PEOPLE :censored: TICK ME OFF!!!!!!!!!! :chainsaw:

Well, i guess we can all learn from this unfortunate event. :(

Perhaps serial No.s should be recorded and stolen ones listed somewhere on this site?That way if someone else happens to finds saw for sale matching the description, they could check the No. and possibly return some of the pilfered goods to their rightful owners.

Saw Theives Beware!!! :angry2:

Hang in there man..........

Watch ebay and local pawn shops. You do know the serial number of the saw i hope. Pm me if you want and i will keep a eye out on this end.
large-smiley-051.gif

To MikeG, there is a section for lost and stolen on this site. Here is the link. http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

Last edited:
coveredinsap said:
Bummer.

I carry a few 4' - 6' lengths of heavy duty chain, each draped over the lumber rack and secured with a padlock. If I've got anything in the bed of the truck (or on the rack, such as ladders), ....compressor, saws, chainsaws, whatever...and I need to step away from the truck, I loop the chain thru the item(s) and padlock them to the rack. While it may not stop someone determined (and armed with a big pair of bolt cutters) for more than a few seconds, it most definitely seems to put the whammy on the much more common sneak thief and/or crankster.

The hard part is making myself take the time to lock the item(s) up.

Good way to keep your belongings Sap, can't fuss with ya on that. I'm like you, I hate to stop and lock up everything. There's a lot of building going on here in northern Virginia and every week in the local paper there are countless stories of equipment, building supplies, bobcats, loaders, you name it being stolen. Seems now days if it isn't locked down with lock and chain its gone. Good post Sap.

Don't feel bad Steve

Seems every year I sell at least 15-25 Stihls to people who had theirs stolen. Most recently was the week before last. The guy kept his 360 in the case under the table in his garage. He said he hadn't used it in quite awhile and had some cutting to do. He reached under the table and grabbed the case and realized it felt awful light. Inside was nothing but a spare chain, saw gone. Stolen right out of his own garage. He has no clue when whoever got it for the case was closed and left behind. He said I only leave my garage door open when I'm home. Goes to show there are some brave thieves outhere for sure......................

Sad part is even if they catch the thief..he will suffer little or no punishment for the crime.There is no deterrent to stop the thievery.

Sorry about your loss, man. It may not happen so you can see it, but whoever did this WILL get theirs too. What goes around always comes back around. Hope you find it.

Keep an eye open for 044 parts on ebay near your location.

Sucks how many saws get stolen.

just you wait, karma will come back to bite him in the backside. it always does.

I just hate thieves of any kind.

the cure, tie a big vicious dog up near your stuff, and let them get theirs when they come too near the mutt.

I appreciate all the Pm's I have gotten.

Just to clarify, it was only my 044. It was the only saw I had in my friends truck. I would have been pissed if they made off with all of them...

Kinda sucks, cause I actually lost two saws this weekend....I sold the 066 to a guy and the 044 gets stolen the next day! I sold the 066 because I had an 046 and 044. Go figure....

retoocs555 said:
Keep an eye open for 044 parts on ebay near your location.

Sucks how many saws get stolen.

You know why that is even more ironic....I just sold one on ebay. I had two that were purchased together and sold the better one of the two....

Gypo, I bet the jacka$$ won't even try to cut with it. He probably went straight to a pawn shop or some other place to get some drug money...

Back