my $200 splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes... he is... and so is his son... flat-azz geniuses really.
Marble Rock, Iowa is just spitting distance west of me... you wouldn't believe the stuff those guys have come up with.

What makes you say the pumps are different mn woodcutter ??

Mr Wells told me it was a different pump and I think yours has a quicker cycle time. He also told me the kind of hydraulic oil they use for future reference. He said if I am willing to bring it down to him he would rebuild it if needed. Super nice guy. He talked for about 45 minutes and I could hear his wife yelling at him in the background. "I'm sure he doesn't care David"! I could have spent hours listening to that guy even though much of it was over my head.

Mr Wells told me it was a different pump...

Oh... well, he should know :D
My brother's FIL has a real early one with the same sort of axle as yours (actually it's his MIL's now, the FIL just passed). It's sitting up in our business warehouse, I'll have to look closer at the pump next time I'm up there. I did notice it had a painted pump one day when I walked by it...

If you do take it to him for a "tune up", be prepared to stand around with your thumbs hooked in your bibs, kickin' dirt clods for a while :D

Oh... well, he should know :D
My brother's FIL has a real early one with the same sort of axle as yours (actually it's his MIL's now, the FIL just passed). It's sitting up in our business warehouse, I'll have to look closer at the pump next time I'm up there. I did notice it had a painted pump one day when I walked by it...

If you do take it to him for a "tune up", be prepared to stand around with your thumbs hooked in your bibs, kickin' dirt clods for a while :D

That's funny because I got that same impression! He said that if anyone other than himself messed with it that they would just screw it up. He also said to plan on a full day!

mn woodcutter you aren't a world away from the builder. You must like old equipment or you just would have bought a box store one. I sure would take a day and load it up and go get that tune up as I get older those learning sessions with those kind of people are the best. This box store junk won't be running 40 years from now without a lot of rebuilding.

I agree that taking a day to go down there (3.5 hrs there and back) would be enjoyable and an opportunity to learn some things but I don't often have a free day to do those kinds of things. My priorities go something like this. God, family, friends, work, fishing, hunting, and then cutting wood. If if I have a day that isn't filled with one or more of the six things on that list then.....maybe.

At this point there is really no reason to go down there because my splitter is working great.

mn woodcutter you aren't a world away from the builder. You must like old equipment or you just would have bought a box store one.

That's sort'a funny... 'cause I wouldn't trade my 20-some-year-old Log Boss for a brand new "box store" splitter even if I was offered cash for boot (well... enough cash would do it). Those guys still build the Log Boss (and understand there's a waiting list)... they still build 'em the same as they did over 20 years ago except for some cosmetic type things. A twenty-some year old design that (in my mind) out-classes anything you can buy in any "box store"... that says a ton.

As a side note...
I heard a rumor (yes, I said "rumor") a few years back that Sears/Craftsman tried to buy the hydraulic "oil to oil piston booster" design from them... they sent Sears packing.
Ya' know?? These are the same guys that came up with the Scavenger Backwater Motor (sometimes called Mud Motor) used in swamps, bayous, and marshes all over the world.

That's sort'a funny... 'cause I wouldn't trade my 20-some-year-old Log Boss for a brand new "box store" splitter even if I was offered cash for boot (well... enough cash would do it). Those guys still build the Log Boss (and understand there's a waiting list)... they still build 'em the same as they did over 20 years ago except for some cosmetic type things. A twenty-some year old design that (in my mind) out-classes anything you can buy in any "box store"... that says a ton.

As a side note...
I heard a rumor (yes, I said "rumor") a few years back that Sears/Craftsman tried to buy the hydraulic "oil to oil piston booster" design from them... they sent Sears packing.
Ya' know?? These are the same guys that came up with the Scavenger Backwater Motor (sometimes called Mud Motor) used in swamps, bayous, and marshes all over the world.

Any patents they might have from their original design must be expired by now.

Mr Wells actually asked me if I wanted to buy the business. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

Mr Wells actually asked me if I wanted to buy the business. I couldn't tell if he was joking or not.

That's...interesting. Waiting list for the splitters, don't know on the boat motors, but slick designs, they just need higher production/lower cost/marketing.

It's definitely an opportunity for someone. I told him I already have two businesses, a wife, and three kids. I'm stretched too thin the way it is.

Just an update on the Log Boss. I threw the nastiest knotted up wood I had in the pile including a 30" twisted up ash that we had set aside last winter when my brother's skid loader splitter attachment stopped it. The Log Boss seriously struggled but never quit and split it every single time. I am in complete amazement. I really think the extremely sharp wedge makes a huge difference.

Back