My 200T bit me today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well your wife was smart. Why guys always think duct tape and a Kleenex is going to fix a wound is beyond me. Guess we think if we "cover it up" then it will go away and must not be that bad.
I have done the "tape it closed" thing, rethought it and got a dozen stitches in my leg (pre chaps days)

Is that your opinion or do you have professional arborist training with top handle saws to back that up? Just curious.

I guess I should have added some type of sarcastic emoticon. I was joking. But in all seriousness, if he was just holding a beer in his non saw hand, this all could have bed avoided. Along with a proper safety chain.

It's bad news to get a 200t less than 2' from your left hand. I've cut a lot of branch logs with a 200t, that last cut is dangerous, too damned close and too damned easy to lose a hand, you lucky bugger

You should post that photo of your hand over in the arborist forum. I'll give it 20 seconds before 32 qualified arborists have told you that the only person skilled enough to run a 200T is guess who? That's right, themselves. No lesser being should be allowed within 200 yards of a top handled saw.

you did that just to find out what it would feel like didn't you, well now you know.
are you going to do it again?
Yea Scott, I was bored and figured I'd see how it felt to have some PS3 rip through my skin. ;)
It is a newer chain on the market, I wanted to see how it compared to a cut from a semi chisel chain.

And no, I'm not going to use that method ever again. I finished up the rest of the heads with the sawzall. :)

Wow, glad you're good to go, could've been much worse. Just a thought, if you're going to be doing much bone cutting, look for a used band saw or large table top scroll saw.

For in tree use by professional climber is the way they are sold. You can get less than 200 yards away. Just don't touch the spinning chain.

It depends which country and which area you are in as to what market they are aimed at. Hundreds were sold in my area to contact fruit tree pruners. Zero to qualified arborists.

Ed, you just get cooler all the time.

LOL I didn't feel cool. I felt rather stupid to tell the truth.
We all mess up, most people just don't post about it. I figured if I got some ribbing, it would be deserved.
Just a reminder how things can go bad in the blink of an eye.
Maybe this thread will keep others from attempting to cut deer skulls with a top handle. :laugh:

I have never cut myself with a chainsaw. Made a few very ugly scratches after some nasty damage to my jeans several times years ago though. In hot weather I bled like a stuck hog and was thrilled when I dropped my pants and just found some deep scratches and a couple inch gouge.

Was cussing myself yesterday. I went to check on some stuff in the burnt over pasture behind me and I have to admit part of it was not wanting to get my bright shiny new Labonville's covered with black. So naturally I needed to do a little sawing. Boy oh boy would I have felt stupid if I took a chunk out of a leg with chaps sitting a few hundred yards away!

Got to tell you, you should have asked the doctor for more stitches. At 110 stitches average per chainsaw wound some poor son of a gun is gonna have to get 212 stitches to balance things out and it might be me!

All BS aside, I'm glad it wasn't worse. A chainsaw does damage so quickly the first thing I always wonder is just how much damage it did! Trying not to ever have to wonder that again.

Hu

LOL I didn't feel cool. I felt rather stupid to tell the truth.
We all mess up, most people just don't post about it. I figured if I got some ribbing, it would be deserved.
Just a reminder how things can go bad in the blink of an eye.
Maybe this thread will keep others from attempting to cut deer skulls with a top handle. :laugh:

I think it's a great learning tool, like you said we all mess up. Like the time I tucked a piece of metal (fresh from the welder) under my arm to turn on the water faucet, that left a mark.

...except for that pucker at the 3rd and 4th suture from the left. Prolly a jagged wound. Scars on yer hands don't matter.

Heal fast, make sure it doesn't smell!!!!
when they closed my table sawed finger last june is was not even close to as nice looking
as that, but it had bones sticking out and other stuff hanging out. I hope there is no nerve damage to that hand and it works ok :)

Latest posts

Back