My bought cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not knowing if I missed it.

When you bought this wood did you go and look at it?

Did you ask him if it was a real cord, face cord?

Most people in my neck of the woods think that a "real" cord is 4 feet tall, 16 foot long and 16 inch length which is 66% of a cord.

When I sell wood I tell my customers that I am selling them a face cord for $130 - 4'x16'x16".
I also give them the opportunity to buy the full standard cord for $190 - 4'x24'x16"

There is a book or two that could be written (probably has, in fact) about standards in weights and measures.

Standards are a good thing, and help avoid lots of issues, but are best for simply accurate communication. This has been chewed over in other threads, but to simply summarize: A cord is 128 cu. feet. A facecord is undefined and meaningless unless described by some other standard measurement - as tbow388 does. Similarly, a rick is undefined, as are the following measurements: pinch, smidgeon, throw, bunch, few, lot, handful, truckload, sprinkle, bag full, rack, skoshe, field, dash, metric butt load, avoirdupois crap load, etc.

Most people in my neck of the woods think that a "real" cord is 4 feet tall, 16 foot long and 16 inch length which is 66% of a cord.

When I sell wood I tell my customers that I am selling them a face cord for $130 - 4'x16'x16".
I also give them the opportunity to buy the full standard cord for $190 - 4'x24'x16"

I did not see it prior to buying but I did ask if it was a full cord and was told it was. I had this just dropped off.

0D9DE4C8-0AE4-4BDA-8670-E5ECC28CE7E3-3240-0000061B28621B8F.jpg

The time to discuss the details of any sale is before the sale not after.lol

I asked if it was a "full cord" and was told it was. I also asked if it was "not a face cord" and was told it was not. I was shorted. Yes, I could of loaded up the kids and drove over to see what it looked like but, to me, a cord is a cord and can be defined in simple dimensions. When those dims didn't add up I called and was delivered the missing amount. Nuff said.

Why are you adding yet another odd measure to the mix?. Face cord is accepted as 4'x8"x16". There is ennough confusion without you adding another size of a "face cord".

If you want to use odd measures just sell by "that pile over there".

Harry K.

Harry, check your post.. You are changing the size again, you typed 8" not 8 feet. Unless of course you are selling 4 feet x 8 inches x 16 inches as a face cord. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well, if he can call 4' x 16' x 16" a face cord, why can't I call a face cord 4' x 8" x 16"? :)

Harry K

I thought what people call a face cord was 4' x 8' x whatever length.

16" = 1/3 cord

But you could cut the length to 14" or 12' and still call it a face cord.

Around here they sells "ricks." And some peoples ricks are smaller than others!

Last edited:
Why are you adding yet another odd measure to the mix?. Face cord is accepted as 4'x8"x16". There is ennough confusion without you adding another size of a "face cord".

Harry K.

Around here nobody sells real cords that I've found. The ones that brag about selling REAL cords are selling 4x16xlog length. Log length varies quite a bit but usually 16-18". Heck I answered a Craigslist ad once asking what the dimensions of a cord was to them. The reply? "Heck, I don't know. I always thought it was a pickup load."

Around here nobody sells real cords that I've found. The ones that brag about selling REAL cords are selling 4x16xlog length. Log length varies quite a bit but usually 16-18". Heck I answered a Craigslist ad once asking what the dimensions of a cord was to them. The reply? "Heck, I don't know. I always thought it was a pickup load."

Apparently, not everything is bigger in Texas. :D

Harry K.

Hey, I learned something new today. Thanks Harry. I had assumed that a Face Cord was 4'x16'x16" (The face of a cord)

Definitely good to know that I have been wrong so I can be more correct.

What exactly would you call 4'x16'x16"?

Then You are right

I did not see it prior to buying but I did ask if it was a full cord and was told it was. I had this just dropped off.

0D9DE4C8-0AE4-4BDA-8670-E5ECC28CE7E3-3240-0000061B28621B8F.jpg

If he sold you a full cord and did not deliver then you have every right to ask him to make it right and he needs too.

I thought what people call a face cord was 4' x 8' x whatever length.

16" = 1/3 cord

But you could cut the length to 14" or 12' and still call it a face cord.

Around here they sells "ricks." And some peoples ricks are smaller than others!

True that. "Face Cord" by itself is an undefined measure but commonly accepted as 4' x 8'. To have any meaning at all it needs the "width" (length of stick) added.

Why people insist on using such vague terms is beyond me. What is wrong with "cord" or 'fraction of cord". In the current instance had he said "2/3 cord" vice "face cord" every body would have known instantly how much it was.

As for "rick" technically it can be as little as 3 sticks up to and including an infinity. I sometimes wonder if the minimum could even be 2 sticks.

Harry K

Hey, I learned something new today. Thanks Harry. I had assumed that a Face Cord was 4'x16'x16" (The face of a cord)

Definitely good to know that I have been wrong so I can be more correct.

What exactly would you call 4'x16'x16"?

Well, you _are_in a semi-professional forum, some would call it "professional". Use non-standard, undefined terms expect to be called on it.

Harry K

If you want to be obstinant and not use legal measure.

Harry K

That was tongue in cheek a bit but you said yourself that 4x8 is commonly accepted a 'face cord'. I'm going to start using gills as my unit of measure for volume of firewood going forward. Just can't decide between US and Imperial gills.

Latest posts

Back