My Brand new Husky 455 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2011husky455

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im new here, I haven't found much about my saw on this forum so I thought I would start a thread. I realize that this is not a true pro saw but should hold its own on the weekends.

What i want to know is if the chain on this thing is a good match for its power. If I was going to replace it with something what wood it be?

What does a good hand do to "break in" a new saw? Just burn gas I figure but Im not sure.

Any thoughts about this saw would be appreciated for me and other readers. Thanks

Hello everyone, Im new here, I haven't found much about my saw on this forum so I thought I would start a thread. I realize that this is not a true pro saw but should hold its own on the weekends.

What i want to know is if the chain on this thing is a good match for its power. If I was going to replace it with something what wood it be?

What does a good hand do to "break in" a new saw? Just burn gas I figure but Im not sure.

Any thoughts about this saw would be appreciated for me and other readers. Thanks

welcome to the sight,,
you are right they are not pro saws but they are a good saw for the weekends,,,,, take that safety chain and chunk it and get a good chain for it,,, i run stihl and woodland pro chains,,,,,,breakin???? fuel it with good mix and run it and enjoy it,,,once it run it for a while you will find out CAD will set in and then you will have over a dozen saws on the shelf:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

Welcome to AS and congrats on the new saw. I don't know what chain the saw comes with, or your type of wood you cut the most so I can't help with that. But to break it in, I heard you should just cut with it. There's nothing special you have to do that I'm aware of. Maybe make sure the saw is tuned just right so you get the most power out of it.

I've run those safety chains until I wear them out.

I don't like the safety chains but I don't throw them away either.

As I sharpen them, I cut the rakers down some too.

Best thing to do with your saw to break it in is - use it.

Keep the chain out of the dirt and learn how to sharpen it.

Watch the chain tension and keep it proper.

I recently bought a saw from a dissatisfied person and it looks like he had thrown the chain off the bar several times. I've used the saw several times and never any chain trouble. But I put a new bar and chain on it.

Keep the saw clean.

I love my 455, have thrashed it silly over the last year cutting hardwood, first thing i did was lose the 20" rig down-sized to Husky 16" bar with Stihl chisel chain and it does not bog down in anything.

It is classed as a "land-owner" saw.

I just bought the new Stihl 261 as i was feeling a bit sorry for the old husky, but she is a good battler.

The Husky 455 is a good saw...bit heavy...but reliable as all get-out!!
Just run it normal...and let idle for a couple minutes before real use.

If you're new to chainsawing...use the safety chain supplied...
later on you could move up to more aggressive type chain.

Please be safe and buy some chainsaw protective chaps!!!
About $70...a bad leg cut is $1000's...$$$ well spent..IMO
:cheers:
J2F

Yes, you need at least a 90cc saw to run more than a 16" bar.

Seriously, get some decent chain, keep it out of the dirt and sharp and let it run. It won't win any races, but it'll be a decent saw for you.

I've got a Husky 460 that I took about a pound of metal out of the jug and muffler. It runs just fine now.

Saftey First

Great reminder on safety and as for experience this is my second saw as i also received a Poulan 335 pro ten years ago as a gift and wore it out completely and no longer wish to fix it any more.

The saw came with an 18" bar and 3/8 pitch 058 gage chain.

I also purchased a STIHL 3/8 058 chain for spare. I sharpen my chains all the time and am rarely in a position to run it blunt or dull I hate that.

Is the pitch and gage right for this saw it seems to be working pretty hard on 12"-16" pine?

Last edited:
Yes, you need at least a 90cc saw to run more than a 16" bar.

Seriously, get some decent chain, keep it out of the dirt and sharp and let it run. It won't win any races, but it'll be a decent saw for you.

I've got a Husky 460 that I took about a pound of metal out of the jug and muffler. It runs just fine now.

There is no cat in my muffler but would it benefit? from some muffler holes?

Great reminder on safety and as for experience this is my second saw as i also received a Poulan 335 pro ten years ago as a gift and wore it out completely and no longer wish to fix it any more.

The saw came with an 18" bar and 3/8 pitch 050 gage chain.

I also purchased a STIHL 3/8 058 chain for spare. I sharpen my chains all the time and am rarely in a position to run it blunt or dull I hate that.

Is the pitch and gage right for this saw it seems to be working pretty hard on 12"-16" pine?

Whoa Nellie!!!!......Ya can't run .058 on a .050 ga. bar!!!
Drivers are TOO BIG for the .050 ga. bar!!!!!!

The chain MAY?? fit into bar channel...but...will cause much more friction
and overheating...chain will swell and slow down...nothing good about this!!!
Also your chainsaw motor is overheating as well...just DON'T do it!!!
Take it back and swap it out for .050 ga. to match your bar!!!

Be gentle on a new saw...don't put extra pressure on the bar/chain!!
Give it time to break-in...after a few tanks...it will run stronger!!
J2F

Last edited:
There is no cat in my muffler but would it benefit? from some muffler holes?

Its a strato saw. There are extra air intakes that aid in the combustion which are supposed to regulate the emissions that it gives off. Therefore no cat muff. The cylinder ports are tiny on this saw as well as the muffler port. There are several threads regarding porting these saws if you search.

Whoa Nellie!!! Ya can't run .058 chain in a .050 bar!!!
The drivers are too big and even if it does seem to fit it's too big!!
You will soon see the saw start to slow down...because of friction...
The chain will swell first creating the extra friction and overheat
the bar...and you're also overheating the chainsaw motor!
Nothing good is happening here!!!

Take the chain back and replace it with an .050 ga. chain that
matches your bar!!

And run your saw easy to break-in...NO extra pushing on the bar.
After a few tanks run through it...the saw will increase in power.
J2F

I just read the stamp on the side of the bar after i posted so I'm sure its a 058. What thru me off was the owners manual makes reference to it being 050??? The other day I asked the sales man at the saw shop for what the manual calls for but he corrected me and sold me a 058.

That's the problem with these forums you say the wrong thing without double checking and bang you get labeled.

Back