My Dog is Afraid of the Fire, Yours?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Fur-do" That's good stuff dingeryote.

I think my yellow lab who has GAD (goose acquisition disorder) really enjoys a good fire

View attachment 227190

attachment.php

My lab stays as far away from the stove as he can get, but he's not scared of it. The pembroke welsch corgi is as close as he can get to it when it up and running.

You guys might get a kick out of this 40 second video clip. It's my 13 year old daughter Marta and her cardigan welsh corgi Nilla (currently laying in front of the fireplace) in agility competition .... this was the winning run turned in by the dynamic duo and it was 100 degrees outside!

Tioga County 4-H Agility Champion (Nilla the cardigan corgi) - YouTube

Our Husky mix, Frankie (Ol' Blue Eyes) has recently taken to heat hogging on the hearth. He'll scramble and move away when the stove door is opened but will return later. Had a hot fire going the other night... he laid there panting for awhile. :D

The cocker spaniel, Ebbie doesn't seem to care for laying by the stove for some reason.

My lab wants the couch to himself, doesnt care about the stove, my shepherd wants to lay right up against the hearth and soak up the heat, the wife and kids cocker spaniel just wants to pick on the other two and cause trouble.

We've got a Boerboel pup that lays directly atop/against the heat registers, or as close to the woodstove as possible without burning hair. I'd say it was an 'equatorial' thing, except she that also seems to loves the snow??

I have a standard wood stove with a large glass door so the flames are visible, I love the heat and flames, not my Siberian.

Is your dog(s) afraid of fire? I see all these ads with a dog laying near a fireplace, not my critter.

I've seen him chase a mountain lion and a 300 lb black bear boar, but fire, thunder and gun fire and he's gone.

my dog avoids the fire too.

my cat, however, will sit there in front of it and just stare at the fire for a long time like he's in a trance.

My Golden Retriever loves the fire.When burning brush or just having a bonfire,she sits with he back to the fire.Her back gets so hot,I'm afraid for her fur catching fire!

We have an OWB...but the cat and both dogs sleep on the heat vents 24/7. The dogs dont like when I split wood outdoors though, they dont like all the noise.

Curious, where I live if I stored any wood inside I'd be over run with spiders, they live in the bark. Would seem you don't have that problem in Michigan?

I'm in Michigan, and if I stored my wood inside like that, my wife would have me living in the woodshed. :help:

I'm in Michigan, and if I stored my wood inside like that, my wife would have me living in the woodshed. :help:

You ain't kidd'in. I'm allowed to store a couple of few days worth in two rings in the mud room and one small cart in the kitchen. The cart in the kitchen is for her to feed the stove because she will not participate if she has to go outside or even to the mudroom.

attachment.php

Carries Wood

attachment.php

It's not heated but at least the mudroom is enclosed. The fact that there is no heat keeps all of the spiders in check.
We get a lot of cold rain/mixed percipitation conditions in the Mid Atlantic so it is nice if I have a 48-72 hour stash that I can keep myself from having to wheel wood from the stacks in messy weather.

i cant hardly get that ugly rug of mine off the couch or the bedroom work bench.

she's a heat sponge with garage wood stove. when she's outside with me she curls up next to the stove.

That explains HER.... now what about your Dog ? :msp_smile:

My parents' labs lay by their stove all the time. They have a jet black cat as well and I roll him over whenever I vist for fear he might start to smoke on the one side.

My two mouse/chipmuck/mole/bat catchers both like being in front of the stove, but since the area around my stove is kinda high traffic, they'll often retreat to a nearby chair or futon.

My parents dogs and the cats are the only ones who actually find the futon comfortable enough to sleep on.

My Golden Retriever loves the fire. When burning brush or just having a bonfire, she sits with he back to the fire. Her back gets so hot, I'm afraid for her fur catching fire!

Lady, my flat-coated retriever, also loves the fire from the wood stove:
Lady1.jpg

Caption: I've never met a golden retriever stud I didn't like and I've got a nice tail.

Here it's the feline, fat lazy good for nothin cat that sits by the stove and won't budge unless you sit on top of it.
Then it goes to sleep in my 7yo's bed, they have middle of the night fights over bed space.
It DOES get away when we open the stove door.

Man do I miss having a big dog!

SA

myboxer sits by the stove all the time and just stares into the fire. however if a log falls over he runs away for a second haha. he was from a shelter and still after almost 4 years everything scares him. i assume he was beaten religiously untill i got him.

...... Loud noise like saws and gunfire isn't her thing, she will tolerate it fine if she is told to stay, but if not, she wanders off and lets herself back into the house and dosn't close the door behind her. I gotta figure out how to train her to close the doors she opens.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I got a friend who trained his belgian sheperd to do just that.
And found this guy on this vid here has eyes like he's been smoking unlawful substances, but he demonstrates training like that, maybe it gives you some ideas,
seems great, watching tv w/a beer yelling to the dog CLOSE THE DOOR!!

SA
[video=youtube;4lL3Js-E1Bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lL3Js-E1Bc[/video]

Latest posts

Back