My eyes are sore!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosplitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
:dizzy: I am worn out from reading so many posts about a wood splitter:buttkick: It is down to this: a large gas splitter is out of the question due to space and money, I use about 3-4 cords a year so here are the choices:clap: a DR 6 ton electric seems to have a better rating than other electrics or a small 8 ton gas by DR, e-z split or somebody else. They seem to be made in the same factory just come out the other end with a different paint job:crazy1: What will it be/thoughts:newbie:

I've been looking for a splitter as well. If I come across a great deal, I'll buy one, otherwise I'm just going to borrow a friends as I need it.

Why not barrow or rent one once per year? You can do this a lot of times before you hit the break even point and you don't have to worry about it hanging around the house... Plus you'll have a larger, faster, and more powerful splitter when you do actually need it.

My two cents.

Having a splitter is one thing. Having a splitter that won't be able to do the work is sometimes worse. Say hello to a home equity loan!:chainsaw:

i know you were probably joking, but stay away from home equity loans...no matter what.

look on ebay and your local craigslist for a log splitter. they pop up now and then.

renting one was an excellent suggestion, but those little electric ones are only a couple hundred bucks, and the rental fees for two days might get you thinking.........

Ok, I have seen the light, splitters on Craig's (when you can find them) are a pos and they want retail for them, rentals are 90-110 a day, I found a 20 ton for a grand + sh at northern tool anybody have any dealings with NT?:monkey:

Ok, I have seen the light, splitters on Craig's (when you can find them) are a pos and they want retail for them, rentals are 90-110 a day, I found a 20 ton for a grand + sh at northern tool anybody have any dealings with NT?:monkey:

supposedly, the honda engine is favored over the briggs engine. many of the guys here love the honda engine....wait around and see if anyone has bought one of these.......

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200135874_200135874

My stepsons and I went together to buy the Northern Tool 37 ton. I really like that Honda motor. I like how it drops to an idle on the return stroke. I did my 10 cords this year in half the splitting time of my old splitter.

I put the old splitter out by the road with a for sale sign on it with $250 on it. I sold it the second day. I paid $300 for it a few years ago. It was kind of junk, but it split my annual 10-12 cords for three years.

I would rent a splitter before I would buy one that just won't do the job. If you're splitting pine 4x4's the 6 ton will work fine. But for real fire wood, I doubt it would do the job. I'd hate to see you waste money on something that won't split your wood.

As far as motors, I have Briggs on equipment that start and run pretty good. The Honda is a one pull start motor. The Tecumseh on my new portable generator is a two person starter. One guy pulls it until he is to tired to do it any more, then the other guy pulls on it until it finally starts. That hunk of junk is going out on the road for sale next. I see a Honda generator in my future.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with an electric splitter but unless somebody could prove it to me I would think that it would be a waste of money. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

Check the Tractor Supply site for splitters. I bought a 22 ton Huskee/Speedco there several years ago and am satisfied with it. It has a Briggs 6 hp engine on it that starts and runs just fine. I wouldn't buy anything smaller.

If I had it to do all over again I'd opt for more tonnage. I do run into some wood where I wish I had more power. I'm sure that a 6 ton electric splitter would run into a lot of wood that it wouldn't split.

Save your money and wait until you can get what you need.

Rent what you need, buy what you want. It's a great way to try out something first to get some baseline experience.

I am the second owner of a NT 20 something ton splitter. It has split countless cords for me, my father and all of the neighbors. The tecumseh engine always starts (eventually, it is warm blooded). It has never let any of us down. I would buy another one. I have a feeling that this one is going to get an engine upgrade in the next few years. Best $550 I have ever spent. I am sure I could sell it for that today.

For 3 or 4 cord/year, any of the 900.00 Tractor Supply, Northern Tools type splitters will get the job done - I wouldn't want electric either. Just me. I bought the bottom line Didier splitter in '79, It does 10 to 20 full cords every year. The original Briggs 5 hp still on it. I've had to fix a few things, but I'd have to say it's paid for itself a few times. The guy with the hard starting Tecumseh -jrclen- I had one like that on a Snapper mower, all it was was the head bolts were loose! I mean LOOSE - :buttkick: Found it by dumb luck, taking the plug out for the 876th time, happened to see one of the bolts move. It was a 1 or 2 pull start after that - :clap:

As far as motors, I have Briggs on equipment that start and run pretty good. The Honda is a one pull start motor. The Tecumseh on my new portable generator is a two person starter. One guy pulls it until he is to tired to do it any more, then the other guy pulls on it until it finally starts. That hunk of junk is going out on the road for sale next. I see a Honda generator in my future.

When any of my equipment need to be started that way I figure somethings wrong. Id check the carb for water or dirt.:)

everything I have had with a Tecumseh engine has been been a royal pain in the :censored: !! I have briggs engines that are ALOT less problematic.. the best one is on my roto tiller a cub with a briggs engine.. circa 1975... always started easily just had to work on the carb this year ( :censored: delaware gas and now even worse with ethanol) -- its a plot I tell ya to get us all to buy now small engines. --- but the Tecumseh has always been a royal pain in my :censored:

My Father in Law has a DR electric splitter and it really surprised me. Don't get me wrong there are some crotch pieces and so forth that we have to throw aside, but for the money I think they are a pretty good buy. His wood has to be cut down to around 24" to fit in there. I helped him split hard maple, beech elm all kinds of stuff in that thing. If you run across a gas splitter for the same money, you probably don't have something you can go right out and use, they usually need some work. It doesn't take long for money to add up replacing parts and fluid on old junk splitters. Just something to consider.

Kyle

I took the Tecumseh into a service center and they replaced the coil pack. Now it takes 20 pulls rather than 40 to start.

My problem was kind of my own fault. I bought the generator and then didn't need it until the warranty had expired. Tecumseh and Coleman don't want to deal with you after the warranty has expired.

I took the Tecumseh into a service center and they replaced the coil pack. Now it takes 20 pulls rather than 40 to start.

My problem was kind of my own fault. I bought the generator and then didn't need it until the warranty had expired. Tecumseh and Coleman don't want to deal with you after the warranty has expired.

i'm not a tecumseh fan either. had more than enough problems with their engines.

i have a 10hp snowblower that needs a new carb. the damn thing managed to get a pin hole in the side........

:wave: Thanks for all the replies, I am just going to rent/borrow until I can find a 20 ton or better gas model, no electrics.:angry2:

That's what I would do. I personally have a 20ton 5hp, 4"cyl, 11 gpm 2 stage pump. I've owned it for 5 years now and it's a great splitter. Cost me a grand with shipping but it's been dead reliable, splits hor/vert and has all the power I need for the 6+ cords a year I use.:cheers:

you could look at your local Lowes/home depot for one. i know that people usually dont advise buying from places like that but ive seen some on some sales that they have for around 1k, then you wouldent have to worry about shipping because you could tow it home. plus if anything went wrong you might have better luck getting them to honor a warrantee if you were there in person too. also mabey check some places that sell saws and other logging equip. all of the places around here have a few splitters out front, never looked at prices though.

Last edited:
Back