My first big job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I did was cut all the limbs off then started cutting down the trunk until I felt it was a safe height to fall. I did this job for a friend of mine. I am not a tree guy and since my experience on something this big was limited I only charged him for lunch and some beers afterwards. As for cheating the business that was not my intention. In my defense and as a licensed contractor I could very much say the same about remodelling. This job was entirely about the challenge and experience for me. Balls had nothing to do with it. In fact, my friend asked me to do this three years ago. I got half way up the tree and said "no friken way!" Three years and some experience later I figured I would give it a try. As for formal experience I can't technically/honestly say yes. I notched cause there was some lean to the trunk and wanted to use that to my advantage.

So I guess that makes you a recreational climber removal man?
I guess my thoughts go to why, why take a chance with your
life and possibly property damage for lunch and beer? I really
am not trying to flame or ridicule you I just can't wrap my mind
around doing this dangerous work without profiting. I will tell you
in complete honesty you are definately setting yourself up for a
terrible injury without formal training and no ppe. I say it in care
not in spite and if your going to do it anyway go to some seminars
and learn some safety and techniques.

Im no expert either... but has anyone ever had a pic posted on this site without getting the same "your gonna get hurt" or " wear this or that" replies? I mean no harm, but i've saw enough of the comments left on pics that i would never post a pic, no matter how good of a job i thought i did. just my opinion.

Im no expert either... but has anyone ever had a pic posted on this site without getting the same "your gonna get hurt" or " wear this or that" replies? I mean no harm, but i've saw enough of the comments left on pics that i would never post a pic, no matter how good of a job i thought i did. just my opinion.

Does this mean you don't like to wear ppe?

Does this mean you don't like to wear ppe?

I have been slack on it, but im gettin better. But i wouldn't post a pic of me not doing so, cause i know what response i'll get. Its like calling my folks and tellin them im drunk. Im an adult, and don't live in their home, there's nothing they can do, but you know your gonna catch hell anyway. Thats the only example i could come up with.

So I guess that makes you a recreational climber removal man?
I guess my thoughts go to why, why take a chance with your
life and possibly property damage for lunch and beer? I really
am not trying to flame or ridicule you I just can't wrap my mind
around doing this dangerous work without profiting. I will tell you
in complete honesty you are definately setting yourself up for a
terrible injury without formal training and no ppe. I say it in care
not in spite and if your going to do it anyway go to some seminars
and learn some safety and techniques.

I guess so if that's something you can call recreational. I'm not one of those guys who thinks he can do a job just cause he has the tools. I'm not going to pride myself as a arborist or a faller. I wouldn't dare it as it would be an insult to those who are. Ok, mincing words here. Who doesn't want a good meal after doing some grueling work? He's my friend anyway. It's not like I was gonna charge him. He did bump me a few bucks though. Again, for me it's about the experience. When my confidence isn't there my profit is my learning only to reach a point where my learning is worth getting paid for. Looking at the big picture here, everyone's scrutiny in this thread only goes to show how much I don't know and I applaud all of you for it. Indeed formal training would be on the agenda.

I guess so if that's something you can call recreational. I'm not one of those guys who thinks he can do a job just cause he has the tools. I'm not going to pride myself as a arborist or a faller. I wouldn't dare it as it would be an insult to those who are. Ok, mincing words here. Who doesn't want a good meal after doing some grueling work? He's my friend anyway. It's not like I was gonna charge him. He did bump me a few bucks though. Again, for me it's about the experience. When my confidence isn't there my profit is my learning only to reach a point where my learning is worth getting paid for. Looking at the big picture here, everyone's scrutiny in this thread only goes to show how much I don't know and I applaud all of you for it. Indeed formal training would be on the agenda.

If you have a local Vermeer shop they are into training expo's here.
I am sure if you do a search locally there are some in your area and
I would suggest you attend. Do you have the tree climbers companion
and or the art and science of practical rigging? Cheap knowledge and
worth every penny for a starting climber.

I have been slack on it, but im gettin better. But i wouldn't post a pic of me not doing so, cause i know what response i'll get. Its like calling my folks and tellin them im drunk. Im an adult, and don't live in their home, there's nothing they can do, but you know your gonna catch hell anyway. Thats the only example i could come up with.

Post pics then of you doing it with ppe on! I mean I wear mine at lunch
and am made fun of at times for my cowboy hard hat but it has saved
a pop knot a time or two. Plus when I have a pocket full of mulah it
is cheap mugging insurance:cheers:

Christ man cinch up that lanyard, my legs are tired just lookin' at ya! (Butt way out from the trunk, tighten it up a bit and see how much more comfy it is.) :greenchainsaw:

Nubs are Dangerous!!!

Get rid of the nubs!! They serve no purpose but to hang and catch rigging lines, climbing lines and falling pieces. Also, I would rather slide a few feet, letting my lanyard and climbing line catch me, than to take one of those nubs in the chest, or the groin. Also, I think someone already mentioned this, but it merits repeating: Get away from the tree when it is falling! 85% of all deaths are within a 15' radius of the stump! I recently had a similar situation where I felt "trapped" between a wall and the stump. I made the notch, bore cut leaving a strap of holding wood at the back, and then got out of there. I had one of my guys go grab "chainsaw on a stick" from the truck, then released the strap from 8' away on the OTHER side of the wall. Please put a hat on also.

Sorry to sound insulting but topping canopy's was misleading and I am still a little uncertain I follow you. Did you top and drop or top and leave the ones you mentioned topping the canopy on? Was this for hire or just on your own trees? Are you licensed insured to do tree work or cheating the business that are? I understand your pride and it seemed except for safety you did ok but balz in this bus = death and maiming and raises our rates for insurance.I will ask have you any formal experiance? In your pictures you seem at ease in trees but why did you notch the chunk instead of snap cut it? Anyway I am glad you survived and will say you got balz:cheers:

Rope, that snap cut is hardly ever nessisarry on wood - thats just something you learned doing utility work. The notching of chunks can be done much safer and with more control in my opinion. I hate snapcuts on logs.

Dewalt, nice job, looks like you could have some potential as a climber, just listen to the safety tips you got - especially the two tie in rule. Also dont think you cant cut that steel core lanyard, because its pretty easy, that could be your undoing right there.

Last edited:
i think ya did a fine job and give ya an A fer effort:clap: the newb's got ballz and i believe he has what it takes ta make a good climber. you came to a great place and have been where most newb's haven't. two hands and a crash helmet.

I only charged him for lunch and some beers afterwards.

this right here is why people lose their mind when they get a legit quote from a legit company. working for a beer and a ham sandwich is just plain stupid. never mind the economical sense it does not make. if you want to risk your life for a couple beers go down to the bar get drunk as a skunk and then drive home as fast as you can.

Christ man cinch up that lanyard, my legs are tired just lookin' at ya! (Butt way out from the trunk, tighten it up a bit and see how much more comfy it is.) :greenchainsaw:

first thing i noticed too. bad positioning leads to bad cutting technique. get your hips closer to the wood. never mind the one handing, no helmet, stubs and all.

good luck man.

Rope, that snap cut is hardly ever nessisarry on wood - thats just something you learned doing utility work. The notching of chunks can be done much safer and with more control in my opinion. I hate snapcuts on logs.

Dewalt, nice job, looks like you could have some potential as a climber, just listen to the safety tips you got - especially the two tie in rule. Also dont think you cant cut that steel core lanyard, because its pretty easy, that could be your undoing right there.

Mds I prefer snap cuts over notching in most cases it is extra cutting and
time unnecessary and they tend to land better. I have notched and pulled
but many times when doing so the piece is harder to make land flat and
every settup is different but I normally hate wasted effort and time. However, I prefer a lead rope in most cases and I always
tie off one chunk and then next chunk out of tail so the rope does
not have to be sent up next time I am always prepared for the next cut!

Last edited:
snap cut on wood

Rope, that snap cut is hardly ever necessary on wood
sure there are other ways, but i disagree with u. i do more snaps in the bucket with big wood cause you should snap from the top of the piece you are cutting. i have never used a rope on a snap. imo the snap is a great cut and gets used all the time. its very hands on if ya know what i mean and gives the cutter complete control of the wood in question:clap:

Mds I prefer snap cuts over notching in most cases it is extra cutting and
time unnecessary and they tend to land better. I have notched and pulled
but many times when doing so the piece is harder to make land flat and
every settup is different but I normally hate wasted effort and time. However, I prefer a lead rope in most cases and I always
tie off one chunk and then next chunk out of tail so the rope does
not have to be sent up next time I am always prepared for the next cut!

Interesting rope. Maybe we've just develpoed different styles based on the way we've learned. Me I'm perfectly comfortable just notching different angles on different pieces based on hight and lenth. I get most every piece to land flat (or rope it). I dont see the logic behind the snap cut in relation to how you are supposed to get a piece to land flat??

Interesting rope. Maybe we've just develpoed different styles based on the way we've learned. Me I'm perfectly comfortable just notching different angles on different pieces based on hight and lenth. I get most every piece to land flat (or rope it). I dont see the logic behind the snap cut in relation to how you are supposed to get a piece to land flat??
flip once and flat. bam! i get angled cut threw's ta land flat. you just gotta judge and dont flip more than one turn a cut. its usually just a lil tip at the right time is all it takes. it takes practise and its not a guarantee so when in doubt rope em out.

sorry fer cuttn in rope, mds:hmm3grin2orange:

Because it pops and doesn't have a spin started it can many times be
landed flat or butt first. Yes I understand different notch angles and
thickness and types can have a profound affect. I see most of them
do somersaults before landing and many times hit on the nose and the
other end can flop? It I suppose is preference, I don't like wasting time
messing with a notch unless it is needed, I do notch them at times but
there will be a specific reason if I do. I also prefer the snap when
blocking out of the bucket less chance of it getting away pinching
saw imo. I make a snap precut then raise up and push it off.

Latest posts

Back