My first big job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hate the snap cut

sure there are other ways, but i disagree with u. i do more snaps in the bucket with big wood cause you should snap from the top of the piece you are cutting. i have never used a rope on a snap. imo the snap is a great cut and gets used all the time. its very hands on if ya know what i mean and gives the cutter complete control of the wood in question:clap:

I just dont see it - I've seen guys good at that thing (snap cut) and it still doesnt look nearly as safe or controlled as the way I do it. IMHO it is a recepe for potholes in the lawn. Perfect hinge and angles with relation to flat landing+ no pull rope (unless absolutely nesisary) is the way to go - of course this might require some "one handing", so I should probably shut up.

I just dont see it - I've seen guys good at that thing (snap cut) and it still doesnt look nearly as safe or controlled as the way I do it. IMHO it is a recepe for potholes in the lawn. Perfect hinge and angles with relation to flat landing+ no pull rope (unless absolutely nesisary) is the way to go - of course this might require some "one handing", so I should probably shut up.

Heck no keep talking my friend:laugh: Heck I go back and forth pard a
month I may be saying do not cut blocks without wasting time to make
a notch so you can watch it flip flop and rate it on form,amount of flips
before the smack and divit. lol :cheers:

Last edited:
i'll notch it and then as she leaves the stem i give it a little flip to get it to turn over in the air. in an effort to land it flat. works mint like 8 out of 10 times. the other 2 will get maybe half a turn too much and roll over when it hits... oh well.

on the other hand if you make a real good over/under snap cut you have almost complete control when it comes to getting the wood off the stem. problem with that is if you are not in the bucket you can only go so big with what you are taking.

almost no tree is the same though, so each cut is unique for the situation. i guess what i am saying is experience will tell you what cut to make.

i'll notch it and then as she leaves the stem i give it a little flip to get it to turn over in the air. in an effort to land it flat. works mint like 8 out of 10 times. the other 2 will get maybe half a turn too much and roll over when it hits... oh well.

on the other hand if you make a real good over/under snap cut you have almost complete control when it comes to getting the wood off the stem. problem with that is if you are not in the bucket you can only go so big with what you are taking.

almost no tree is the same though, so each cut is unique for the situation. i guess what i am saying is experience will tell you what cut to make.

Yupper it will, sometimes on a nice sunshiny day I love fast cuttin a
20" spar lol.

Heck no keep talking my friend:laugh: Heck I go back and forth pard a
month I may be saying do not cut blocks without wasting time to make
a notch so you can watch it flip flop and rate it on form,amount of flips
before the smack and divit. lol :cheers:

No, they usually just do a 180 and then stay put with a resounding "thud"...there Pard. lol.

Last edited:

I hear ya with the helping her flip oldirty, this (for me) is usually when going long and low with a big double open notch.

I climbed primarily for most of my stint as treeguy though, so maybe this has alot to do with how I do things...still with the bucket though I make that notch and try to get her perfect like a laser all the way accross - then go up and push (sometimes I have to go back down and cut a little more, but its safe this way) and like I said it uaually lands nice and flat. Thats just my style I guess.

Last edited:
Not a one rope, just make sure you are in the a spar equal right next to me. :)

No prob fiend an so we go rock and roll one lands flat the other goes splat:Eye: I smile bow me head and then say opppps:hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

Btw mds I climbed every day for the first fifteen year friend lol

Last edited:
No prob fiend an so we go rock and roll one lands flat the other goes splat:Eye:
I smile bow me head and then say opppps:hmm3grin2orange::cheers:

Does sound like fun though. :popcorn:

Latter, mds

Yeah, about 15 years here to rope: 5 for "them", ten for me.

Peace friend, latter mds

Last edited:
Correction

15 for climb and ten in a bucket for me:cheers:

I was getting a little confused (too many beers, lol) yesterday I've got about 18 years climbing as far I can recall.

I was thinking about the 10 years without a bucket working for myself and having a few too many addmittedly. lol

Sometimes I wish I never bought that thing, but its probably just dealing with the winter payments at the moment - plus all the damn maintenance on all this crap. Bucket makes my buisiness better able to serve my customers though so I deal with it. All these payments are on automatic withdrawl (bucket/chipper) so when those are done I should be able to buy a house no problem, so thats a good thing I suppose - provided I can make it another 3 years and 9 months.

Gotta have a long term plan the way I see it.

I was getting a little confused (too many beers, lol) yesterday I've got about 18 years climbing as far I can recall.

I was thinking about the 10 years without a bucket working for myself and having a few too many addmittedly. lol

Sometimes I wish I never bought that thing, but its probably just dealing with the winter payments at the moment - plus all the damn maintenance on all this crap. Bucket makes my buisiness better able to serve my customers though so I deal with it. All these payments are on automatic withdrawl (bucket/chipper) so when those are done I should be able to buy a house no problem, so thats a good thing I suppose - provided I can make it another 3 years and 9 months.

Gotta have a long term plan the way I see it.

Man it seems we are swimming in the same swamp. I am worse than
I have been since graduating from high school in the ray gun years.
I have been thinking of creative ways to sell some of what I have
to move where the money is. We may sell our forty acres as land
is fairly high here and move to NW Ar it seems they have more work
up there.

Man it seems we are swimming in the same swamp. I am worse than
I have been since graduating from high school in the ray gun years.
I have been thinking of creative ways to sell some of what I have
to move where the money is. We may sell our forty acres as land
is fairly high here and move to NW Ar it seems they have more work
up there.

Follow the money rope. I think it sucks that it seems like you've got a pretty lame market where your at. I'm kind of lucky where I'm at as even in the less rich town I work in often I still dont have too much trouble getting 1500 a day. 40 acres though! Nice. That grapple must be sweet with all that land eh??

Follow the money rope. I think it sucks that it seems like you've got a pretty lame market where your at. I'm kind of lucky where I'm at as even in the less rich town I work in often I still dont have too much trouble getting 1500 a day. 40 acres though! Nice. That grapple must be sweet with all that land eh??

Yeah I like my farm is what has kept me stuck so far I am very lucky to make 500 a day 2 days a week but lately it is 0 notta and that is and has been what costs me so much in my business. It is too questionable whether you will have work from day to day.

Last edited:
I want to get in on this bashing as well.

First of all, I take it as an insult that you come on here and want advice from professionals while undermining the whole industry. Ok, you did it for a buddy and he did not pay you for it....keep your mouth shut and walk on down the road. If you are serious about getting into the business then let's talk. By doing it for nothing you let your buddy know it is ok to pay nothing for a very good skill and one in which if performed incorrectly can be deadly.

Let me ask you this, would you remodel his house for lunch and a beer? Would you like us to do it and then ask you for advice on how to put up a stud wall?

The fact that you have no ppe on is insulting as well.

Your stump, despite what you think is typical of an amatuer. Your notch is about 2/3 instead of 1/3.

Teamtree, I think you are being too hard on the dude. He said he just did it for the thrill and because he wanted to learn. Better him practicing on a buddys trees for beer than an actual customer's trees and advertizing and all that. Besides he looked pretty good for a beginer if you really think about it.

If you have a local Vermeer shop they are into training expo's here.
I am sure if you do a search locally there are some in your area and
I would suggest you attend. Do you have the tree climbers companion
and or the art and science of practical rigging? Cheap knowledge and
worth every penny for a starting climber.

Well, after some searching the closest vermeer is some 50 mi from me. Went through their site and nothing of any training events. I might have to call. Other venues I looked at were either as of last year or they have not posted this year's agendas. However, I found a real handy interactive guide on the ISA site. Has most of what tree climber's companion has (which I have btw) then goes further into rigging, accidents and whatnot. The rigging book I'll have to get. Hell, that will probably come in handy for more than just trees.

Teamtree, I think you are being too hard on the dude. He said he just did it for the thrill and because he wanted to learn. Better him practicing on a buddys trees for beer than an actual customer's trees and advertizing and all that. Besides he looked pretty good for a beginer if you really think about it.
:agree2: :clap:

I want to get in on this bashing as well.

First of all, I take it as an insult that you come on here and want advice from professionals while undermining the whole industry. Ok, you did it for a buddy and he did not pay you for it....keep your mouth shut and walk on down the road. If you are serious about getting into the business then let's talk. By doing it for nothing you let your buddy know it is ok to pay nothing for a very good skill and one in which if performed incorrectly can be deadly.

Let me ask you this, would you remodel his house for lunch and a beer? Would you like us to do it and then ask you for advice on how to put up a stud wall?

The fact that you have no ppe on is insulting as well.

Your stump, despite what you think is typical of an amatuer. Your notch is about 2/3 instead of 1/3.
the new guy has more gree rep than u treet. whatch who you bash, one day this dude just my bail u out of another tree you cant handle:laugh:

Latest posts

Back