My first cahinsaw rebuild complete!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea

I just slaped it together as cheaply as possible, I'll have to check the compression, but it seems like it has alot more than what I expected cold hell it started up again this morning one pull but the hot compression will be another story of course.

I have another super 029 engine everything except for the piston commin by mail, I went ahead and bought it since it was only 26bucks on ebay so I figured if it blows up then it blows up I'll just slap the other one back in it with a new piston and I didn't acid bath it I just sanded it down and tried not to sand it too much.
The piston on the other hand it was sanded pretty harshly on the exhaust side.

I'm waiting for a new set of chain bumpers to come in at the ace here in town then I'm gonna go cut some heavy stuff and tune her in probably run her a bit more rich than usual for a bit more protection but hopefully it lasts a little bit if not like I said I'll put the other one in and at least I know how to do it now lol, and if it just keeps on runnin I may just fix up another saw with those parts.

As for my fingers there's only a couple of em but it's that crap that get under your nail and the medicine is pretty expensive so I just leave em for character for now! I'll use my right hand next time lol but I crushed two of my fingers this last year throwin skids so they're a little messed up too haha

Thanks for the input guys, prolly wouldn't of done it without runnin into this site haha ok I prolly would of but it might not have ran!

Nice ring job, I have an old mac 610 that the piston looks a bit better might put it together with new rings, clean it up and see what happens.

Good job. Its amazing how much tolerance engines have. I wouldn't peg the rpm's on that baby until she settles in good. Oh, by the way real men don't need pretty fingernails. Saw on !

I took you're advice and let her idle a good tank pretty rich just so she'd seat good and I took a compression test of at least 130 cold and it got there fast,

I need to go get a nubby compression tester just for these the automotive one I have didn't work worth a crap they don't seem to give an accurate reading on these two strokes I noticed. I hooked this one up and it did 100psi then it wouldn't go over 10 then I got to 130 so I don't know for sure but that has to be it

Yea

It was just a vid of it runnin just after I pieced it all back together. I'll post a video of it cuttin eventually just been busy lately

Here is the last Super I did. Never should have sold that one.

attachment.php

I'd plan on swapping that new engine in when it arrives. It looks like there is still some transfer in the cylinder, which will just cause the new rings to stick eventually. For future reference, it is probably better NOT to sand the piston at all. All that does is increase tolerances. The piston skirt to cylinder clearance is the intake valve on a piston port engine. Excessive clearance here will lead to poor running, especially at idle.

Last edited:
I sanded it down so all what you see is indented into the cylinder so it wasn't transfer and I wasn't going to sand deep into the wall cause I knew that'd ruin the compression.
As for the piston I dunno like I said it's gettin good compression I might just clean this other cylinder up and have it ready in case somethin happens.

I got her good and hot and burned a couple of tanks through her last week all it really did was run better after that so I dunno guess we'll see how long it lasts.

If it runs don't worry about it. Run it until it quits, then fix it again or replace it. Both my 025, and 026 have less than perfect looking pistons and cylinders, both had a decent amount of carbon scoring. I cleaned them up with some 320 grit sand paper, and clean the ring grooves on the pistons so the rings seat well and move freely. Both saws run great, and I have very little invested, if they crap the bed I'll worry about it when and if it happens.

Back