My First Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motodeficient

Motodeficient

ArboristSite Guru
I bought the ryobi 10532 and I think it is a good little saw, but not right out of the box. You will need ditch the 18" skip chain and bar, and go with a smaller full comp 3/8" low profile bar and chain (12-16"). You will probably also need to shorten the fuel line. The clutch on mine has started rubbing severely on the inside of the clutch cover, acting just like a chain brake. Others have mentioned this problem as well. I have not had time to find a fix for it yet.

Once these items are adressed it is a good little saw, but right out of the box there are problems. Thats why the saw is liked by some around here, most of us don't mind doing a little work on a saw.

MS460WOODCHUCK

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
I bought the ryobi 10532 and I think it is a good little saw, but not right out of the box. You will need ditch the 18" skip chain and bar, and go with a smaller full comp 3/8" low profile bar and chain (12-16"). You will probably also need to shorten the fuel line. The clutch on mine has started rubbing severely on the inside of the clutch cover, acting just like a chain brake. Others have mentioned this problem as well. I have not had time to find a fix for it yet.

Once these items are adressed it is a good little saw, but right out of the box there are problems. Thats why the saw is liked by some around here, most of us don't mind doing a little work on a saw.

Man all of that work on a new saw sounds like junk to me. My little MS210 has everything working like it is made to do and I run the pi## out of that little mother! Oh wait it's a STIHL it made to!:cheers:

b33133rice

b33133rice

ArboristSite Member
One more thing, again IIRC:

Doesn't that come with some pretty annoying chain, that is best swapped out before getting all disappointed in performance? Maybe that was a different saw; regardless most small saws come with chain that puts much higher emphasis on safety than cutting speed.

From the description that I have it will come with an 18 inch full skip chain.

spiffy1

spiffy1

ArboristSite Operative
From the description that I have it will come with an 18 inch full skip chain.

Motodeficient said:
You will need ditch the 18" skip chain and bar, and go with a smaller full comp 3/8" low profile bar and chain

Must have been the one I was thinking of. If you're never going to bury it, the little extra bar might not matter, so you may get away with the same bar. I don't have that saw, so someone like Motodeficient would have to steer you right, but an 18" loop of PM might do the trick if the gage [.050] matches the bar.

The long and short anyway though, is if you like tinkering a bit, that Ryobi might be a diamond in the rough; else, you may be happier with a more refined option.

Hey, I think it tis the season Wildthings are on sale around my parts!

HimWill

HimWill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've been running the Ryobi 10532 for a little while now.They do need a little tinkering with out of the box.Do a search for the threads,I think they were posted above.There seems to be some of the refurbs still available here(with free shipping):

http://www.cporyobi.com/categories/outdoor_tools_and_equipment/chain_saws/gas_chain_saws.html

The 18" "safety chain" isn't much to write home about,I ordered a couple of these bar and chain combos to use instead:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=BCC+12+EP50&catID=

If you are mostly limbing and trimming,these will do the job.Good luck with whatever you choose.

HimWill

HimWill

Addicted to ArboristSite

Moto,I think the easiest fix for the clutch cover rubbing would be to "double up" on the outside bar plate.Just add a second one over the first to increase the clearance.The part is available here for $0.89.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/outer-guide-plate-p-217637.html?osCsid=4hd89tm2l64cdq0e8h1kchv0m2

I've ordered from them and the two weeks is about right for shipping,you might want to order some other things that you think you might need someday(clutch,sprocket etc.) to keep the shipping reasonable.

(Anyone else needing the carb adjusting tool (Double-D,about $3) or wanting to try the NGK sparkplug (CMR7H,about $5) go to Edge and Engine,they have them in stock.)

b33133rice

b33133rice

ArboristSite Member

I will be ditching the 18" skip chain, and bar the day I purchase the saw. We will be getting either a 14" or 16".

3/8 inch low profile bar and chain (12"-16") : I will make a note of that, and take it to Home Depot with me Thursday evening.

My dad's Homelite has a 14" chain which he has told me is suitable for the felling, and limbing work that he does up in the Angeles National Forest for the San Gabriel Mountain Trailbuilders.

As far as shortening the fuel line, and problems with the clutch my dad has connections with the chainsaw repair team from Rincon Fire Station (ANF.) They would be making any, and all repairs as needed.

Last edited:
spiffy1

spiffy1

ArboristSite Operative
nmurph, for the last 3 guys looking for a saw, that was my thoughts exactly, but it seems that even the felling in this thread is more like pruning so he's set on a light 40cc.

I wonder though whether the seller you linked is done playing with his Ryobi. Now that would be no-brainer vs. homedepot; already hopped up and kinks worked out - might still need the chain cover spacer, the thread is fading in my memory.

b33133rice

b33133rice

ArboristSite Member
I've been running the Ryobi 10532 for a little while now.They do need a little tinkering with out of the box.Do a search for the threads,I think they were posted above.There seems to be some of the refurbs still available here(with free shipping):

http://www.cporyobi.com/categories/outdoor_tools_and_equipment/chain_saws/gas_chain_saws.html

The 18" "safety chain" isn't much to write home about,I ordered a couple of these bar and chain combos to use instead:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=BCC+12+EP50&catID=

If you are mostly limbing and trimming,these will do the job.Good luck with whatever you choose.

I would be using the 10532 for limbing, and felling medium sized trees up in the Angeles National Forest. Volunteer work. My dad's saw - Homelite model UT10540 has a 14 inch full skip tooth chain. He want's me to keep the 18" bar, but replace the chain. Though a suggestion for a full comp 3/8" low profile bar/chain combo in the 12-16 inch range has been taken into account.

spiffy1

spiffy1

ArboristSite Operative
it is interesting that i could not find that saw on the Ryobi website.

HD list it as an OL only product. the specs say 18lbs with an 18" bar, which is probably about the same weight as brad's saw.

Certainly a couple red-flags, but then again, the whole thing that gave this saw raves around here was the "diamond in the rough for cheap" concept.

18lbs? That's gotta be a typo [that little knowledge from the people listing it though is yet another red-flage]; but if true, it is a boat anchor - that 360 probably doesn't weigh that much with an 18in bar and full of fluids!

b33133rice

b33133rice

ArboristSite Member
it is interesting that i could not find that saw on the Ryobi website.

HD list it as an OL only product. the specs say 18lbs with an 18" bar, which is probably about the same weight as brad's saw.

I've tried searching for 10532 parts through Google, and found nothing. The problem is ever since I started this thread yesterday almost everyone has been telling me that I will need this, that, and the other thing!

spiffy1

spiffy1

ArboristSite Operative
I would be using the 10532 for limbing, and felling medium sized trees up in the Angeles National Forest. Volunteer work. My dad's saw - Homelite model UT10540 has a 14 inch full skip tooth chain. He want's me to keep the 18" bar, but replace the chain. Though a suggestion for a full comp 3/8" low profile bar/chain combo in the 12-16 inch range has been taken into account.

OK, nmurph was right, I was wrong. Just what is a "medium sized tree?"

Even in my books - and in SD the really large trees are scarce - for medium sized trees, I'd be forgetting that Ryobi in the first mm of mouse scroll over to the 360 link!

b33133rice

b33133rice

ArboristSite Member
Certainly a couple red-flags, but then again, the whole thing that gave this saw raves around here was the "diamond in the rough for cheap" concept.

18lbs? That's gotta be a typo [that little knowledge from the people listing it though is yet another red-flage]; but if true, it is a boat anchor - that 360 probably doesn't weigh that much with an 18in bar and full of fluids!

"18lbs? That's gotta be a typo"

Home Depot, as well as some other websites that I've checked list the Ryobi ZRRY10532 at 18 pounds.

spiffy1

spiffy1

ArboristSite Operative
I've tried searching for 10532 parts through Google, and found nothing. The problem is ever since I started this thread yesterday almost everyone has been telling me that I will need this, that, and the other thing!

The guys around here could easily steer you to parts, else don't count on them locally. But you're now catching the "diamond in the rough" idea; actually they're all buying refurbs, for like $99 - the assumption is HomeDepot gets a ton of returns on these.

spiffy1

spiffy1

ArboristSite Operative
"18lbs? That's gotta be a typo"

Home Depot, as well as some other websites that I've checked list the Ryobi ZRRY10532 at 18 pounds.

If that is the case, it's not as pretty; I doubt that 360 is much over 13lb and 20" bar/chain can't be what 5lb? maybe go 18" and drop a little weight too: 18pounds of 60CC HP. :greenchainsaw:

b33133rice

b33133rice

ArboristSite Member
I don't think you can get real chain at HomeDepot.

If not my dad has a friend (Ben White) that works with chainsaws for a living. We'll get a length of quality chain with the correct gauge, and pitch from him on the 18th of July. Which will be the upcoming chainsaw project. As far as going to a dealer for the chain, I'm not sure what we have around Glendora.

Latest posts