my first Fern gully tree take down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I was your boss I would make you complete this removal out of principal and for your own good....... manually. A arborists bread and butter is efficently evalauting trees, youve wasted days on this afternoon tree. Know what your capabilities are,I knew you were in trouble from the get go.

So what point do you agree with, Dan? Use small words so we can understand. And Gologit didn't whine, he moderated, kind of his job. Jeff

Good grief. Who woulda thunk a cottonwood removal would become more controversial than a President's birth certificate?

Actually, if you were following any logic whatsoever you would realize that I didn't say that. All I said was that HW had a point... and for Gologit to remember NO WHINNING. I think you both, in some insecure state of paranoia and need to feel potent, jumped to some conclusion that best suited yourselves. Of course that is just and only what I think and I could be wrong so why would and how could a thick skinned tree man be so offended I don't know. It appears that logic is not the forte of such men.

Complaining? Again?

Complaining? Again?

Ah, you lived so long, did so much, took so much and all for so little while expecting every one else to do the same ( why if they didn't they would be whiners of course) and now you sit in the heights of your fancy believing that you have something over me. Well go ahead, who I am to stop you?

Dan ; take a chill pill, its OK. Nothin to get in a battle about.
Like I said, you called it right at the start.

No, no, The Dan is alright, you're alright, in fact everything is fine... well maybe except fer a certain somebody who has got it in fer The Dan but nevermind as The Dan will overcome such adversity; He cannot be stopped... or at least not yet anyhow.

The Dan wanted me to tell you that He never had a mind to put you down though He was very curious as to what was going on with the Fern Gulley Tree and the tactics thereof. He was certainly impressed with your fortitude but was concerned that you were lacking in other areas. Of course He means no degradation.

And also The Dan wishes to express His sympathy for Gologit and requests a truce as, well, uh, umm, we both have better things to do huh?

No, no, The Dan is alright, you're alright, in fact everything is fine... well maybe except fer a certain somebody who has got it in fer The Dan but nevermind as The Dan will overcome such adversity; He cannot be stopped... or at least not yet anyhow.

The Dan wanted me to tell you that He never had a mind to put you down though He was very curious as to what was going on with the Fern Gulley Tree and the tactics thereof. He was certainly impressed with your fortitude but was concerned that you were lacking in other areas. Of course He means no degradation.

And also The Dan wishes to express His sympathy for Gologit and requests a truce as, well, uh, umm, we both have better things to do huh?

Nice try, Dan. Every time you establish a new user ID while you're banned the length of your ban will increase. Better quit while you're ahead.

Nice try, Dan. Every time you establish a new user ID while you're banned the length of your ban will increase. Better quit while you're ahead.

Wonders never cease! And I haven't even called any friends for help yet BUT I WILL. Come on, we don't have to like each other, we can continue to hate each other. What's the big deal? Listen, I promise to leave you alone and won't get upset if you infract me legitimately ( Lord knows I deserve it), you just go on with whatever it is that you do and otherwise leave me alone. Deal? I mean its not going to stop, I am not going away, you can't get rid of me unless you kill me. And really, am I that bad? Think about it. Get some sleep, don't dwell, just let go.

And, once again, I think it unwise to threaten people on a public website like you have just done.

Last edited:
Perhaps we should rename this "The Ferngully Smackdown thread"?

Jump in, spout off, and get smacked down, with bonus prizes for double entries! :dizzy:

Just for the record: The Dan has NEVER been smacked down... though He is still waiting and in dire need.

Just for the record: The Dan has NEVER been smacked down... though He is still waiting and in dire need.

Dan, you need to quit this. If you keep registering with new user names while you're banned eventually you'll be banned for life. Let it go, serve out your ban like everybody else does. The alternative is grim.

Is climbing less dangerous than falling? I do neither for a living, but notice on the fallers part of the site, the pros are always advising leaving trees you feel uncomfortable with alone. How come pro climbers are urging someone who stated he didn't feel safe in a tree to get his but back up there and finish? If so, I'm gonna start climbing. I sick of the pro fallers telling me ####s too dangerous for my newbie self to attempt

I've done both and in my opinion they're equally dangerous but have different hazards. It takes a certain kind of person to do either, but I think climbers are more frequently self taught and more opinionated. There's more opportunity for fallers to receive guidance and mentoring, and I think knowledge is more accessible for fallers. While there's definitely a pride thing with fallers, it's not unheard of to get a hand of another faller, or a second opinion. I think that happens a lot less with climbers. Generally, you're the only climber there, so keeping your head game in place is a big part of climbing. Once you start second guessing yourself as a climber, you'll lose confidence and you won't be any good. For that reason, the climbers that go the furthest are generally the type who think for themselves, have plenty of self confidence, and make their own decisions. Those kinds of guys don't often ask for a second opinion.

Pdq ; snoose is another word for snuff. Like Copenhagen, ect.
I'm not too cool with a guy smoking at work because most of the time they want to stop working to smoke. Most loggers chew at work even if they smoke when off work. I like guys to work their ass off. As long as they aren't working against themselves. And I generally flip out if someone wants to stop to smoke. Carpenters and sawmill guys are horrible about it. :what::angry3::beat_brick::beated:
So, I chew. Last year on this job my foreman smoked. He wasn't called back to work. I was given his job and a raise. I'm training 3 young guys how to work. I'm real glad they don't smoke. That's job security for them.

Is climbing less dangerous than falling? I do neither for a living, but notice on the fallers part of the site, the pros are always advising leaving trees you feel uncomfortable with alone. How come pro climbers are urging someone who stated he didn't feel safe in a tree to get his but back up there and finish? If so, I'm gonna start climbing. I sick of the pro fallers telling me ####s too dangerous for my newbie self to attempt

Actually, you saw most climber's applaud tramp for making the smart decision, and two boneheads trying to make some obscure point. Go back and look, only two guys recommend going back up there.
And any good climber or faller will always recommend walking away from any tree you don't feel comfortable with. It's a fine line between pushing yourself to the next level and getting in over your head. In my opinion, in this particular situation, Tramp took on what he knew was going to be a challenging tree, hit it hard, learned a few new skills, and when the tree ended up being too sketchy decided to bring a lift in. Good call in my book. Jeff

Back